Chicken dying of old age - euthanasia?

rugbyrebel

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2013
Southern Ontario, Canada
Hello,

I have a 10.5 year old chicken who is dying. I can’t decide if I should take her to an emergency vet to euthanize (can’t get a regular appointment) or let her pass naturally. I have no experience with chickens slowly dying of old age… my other chickens were either euthanized after an urgent/sudden illness or suddenly dropped dead on the roost (old age heart attack). I read the article on this website about old age dying and it was very helpful but I’m finding this tough and keep doubting myself. Every day I think she is going to die her in her sleep and she keeps going. I don’t want her to suffer but I don’t want to take her to a vet either (the emerg vet botched a previous euthanasia so I avoid going there unless it’s a true emergency. My awesome regular chicken vet isn’t working anymore). If anyone has suggestions or personal experience to share, please do. 10.5 years seems old for a chicken, right? Thanks

Some additional info:
She started slowing down and slowly losing weight over the last year but “suddenly” become emaciated in the last few weeks. (I was away and hadn’t picked her up in two weeks, the change was substantial in that time). I thought she was being broody hiding in the nest box (as she’s done before) but realized this time was different. It was before the long weekend and I could not get a vet appointment. I dewormed her and started treating with meloxicam and antibiotics in attempt to broadly treat pain/disease but she is getting slower and slower. I thought she would die naturally by now. It’s been a week… she has still been eating drinking and even did some walking/scratching but is getting less. Today is a the sleepiest she has been, she may have stopped eating. She seems quite peaceful and sleeping lots.

I let mine have a natural death. My 8-9yrs old Mille Fleur D'uccle hen passed away in my arms on Thanksgiving day, of 2021. I just kept her comfortable until she passed. Her death process was a spand of several hours. But I think it varies depending on individual birds. My hen had her last meal the day before she decided it was time to pass.
Sleeping lots, is one of the signs she's getting close to passing away.

The official death, you must be prepared for, she may have spasms as her brain shuts down. But sometimes the spasms don't happen, & they die in the position they are sleeping in. My mom's Mille Fleur D'uccle passed around the same age, a year after her buddy died. She died peacefully in her sleep.

Last edited:
I let mine have a natural death. My 8-9yrs old Mille Fleur D'uccle hen passed away in my arms on Thanksgiving day, of 2021. I just kept her comfortable until she passed. Her death process was a spand of several hours. But I think it varies depending on individual birds. My hen had her last meal the day before she decided it was time to pass.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like your hen passed peacefully. Mine is a Belgian d’uccle. I think my chicken had her last meal yesterday. I bought her watermelon because it’s hot. she perked up with a bit of joy and ate it. She hasn’t eaten this morning and seems a lot sleepier so perhaps today is the day.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like your hen passed peacefully. Mine is a Belgian d’uccle. I think my chicken had her last meal yesterday. I bought her watermelon because it’s hot. she perked up with a bit of joy and ate it. She hasn’t eaten this morning and seems a lot sleepier so perhaps today is the day.
You're welcome.
I added more to my post.

It sounds like it.

Leave her with her chicken friends. Buy a box of tissues and let her go.
The last chicken to die. She sat under my chair surrounded by her family on natural ground watching nature and the sunshine.
P6241442.JPG
P6241441.JPG

Just an update for anyone searching this topic: my elderly chicken died last night in her sleep (late July 6 or early July 7). It did look peaceful… she was lying in the same spot as I put her in, although her head fell in her water bowl which wasn’t nice. During the day of July 6 she mostly stopped eating/drinking/moving. She slept a lot. I gave her painkillers. I held her for an hour before bed. She was very still, breathing softly and slow steady heartbeat. She didn’t open her eyes much (sleepy looking). I thought she might die in my arms as she was so still and eventually didn't open her eyes at all with my noises/movement. I contemplated staying up with her all night until she died but I didn’t want to bring her in the house with all the lights/noise. I opted to put her back in the coop where it was quiet and with other chickens (she was segregated in the nest box area with some mesh). Overall, I struggled to the end with if I was doing the right thing waiting for her to die naturally and worrying that I didn’t treat her for a curable disease earlier but she didn’t seem to be in a lot of pain and the process seemed peaceful.

I am sorry for your loss. :hugs

I think you did the right thing and now she is at peace. I have several older hens too. I always second guess my decisions. I prefer to leave them with their flock if I can. They seem happiest there. I am always sad to see them go.

Take comfort in the long life your hen had. ❤️

I am sorry for your loss. :hugs

I think you did the right thing and now she is at peace. I have several older hens too. I always second guess my decisions. I prefer to leave them with their flock if I can. They seem happiest there. I am always sad to see them go.

Take comfort in the long life your hen had. ❤️

Thank you! Yes losing birds is hard, I really hate this part of chicken keeping and makes me want to stop.

Back
Top Bottom