Chicken eaten alive-warning graphic descriptions & pics! Help identify this predator!

1bmsrep

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 15, 2014
I'm posting this horrible story in hopes that someone can help identify what could have done this to my beautiful hen. She was a 12 year old Polish Crested hen. She was such a sweetheart. She was in a large barn stall with one other tame frizzle white older rooster. They have been stall mates for years and have never had a problem, so I don't think he had pecked at her. He has pristine white feathers and there was not a drop of blood or dirt on any of his feathers or beak.
The stall is completely enclosed with wood at the bottom, sides and roof, with chicken wire on the top half of the stall doors with a dirt floor in our barn. The only thing that has changed within the last month is we unfortunately have a ground hog that has taken over our barn and has made two large holes tunneling into the chicken's stall. We assumed that groundhogs were not a threat to the chicken themselves and was only entering to eat their chicken food. Those holes had been there about 10 days while we figured out how to get rid of the groundhog.
So yesterday morning I entered their stall and found the hen still alive, but her entire backside had been torn and picked off. I really couldn't believe she was still alive. It was so sad to see her in that condition. She did not seem to be in destress or pain though. The damage was to her skin which was missing from under her wings all the way down her back and under her cloaca. In fact, you can see in the last photo, that the skin was ripped from that area and still showed the outline of where the cloaca would have been. Her head and neck were untouched, and her underbelly and organs were untouched as well. It was as if she had just sat there and let something rip and eat her back completely off of her. The chicken stall looked just the same, no blood, excessive feathers, or a sign of a struggle. All very strange. We immediately contacted our vet and had her euthanized by oral syringe. We now have our last remaining rooster in a separate super fortified cage until we can get to the bottom of this. From reading some other threads it sounds like the holes may have allowed other animals to gain entry into the chicken stall. What are you all's thoughts on what this predatory could be? Could it have been an unusual vicious groundhog or some other ground predator that accessed the holes? I have been raising chicken as a hobby for 40 years and have seen many chickens die from predators, but never like this. The first two photos were taken while she was still alive to show our vet, and the last two photo were taken after she had been euthanized to try to see more of how extensive her injuries were. Also, we are thinking that this attacked happen not long before we found her at 9am in the morning. The wounds were still brightly colored and no flies had found her yet. I've got to get to the bottom of this predator mystery, remove the groundhog, and fill the holes or I can't let my remaining chicken back in the same space. Please give your thoughts!

Attachments

• Chicken1.jpg
    Chicken1.jpg
    521.4 KB · Views: 112
  • Chicken2.jpg
    Chicken2.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Chicken 3.jpg
    Chicken 3.jpg
    792.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Chicken4.jpg
    Chicken4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
The stall is completely enclosed with wood at the bottom, sides and roof, with chicken wire on the top half of the stall doors with a dirt floor in our barn. The only thing that has changed within the last month is we unfortunately have a ground hog that has taken over our barn and has made two large holes tunneling into the chicken's stall.
Did you check to be sure there are no other holes? The wood is still intact? The chicken wire has not been ripped?

Removing the groundhog and fixing the holes is definitely a good idea. But it can be very easy to focus on one thing and miss something else, so that is why I am suggesting you also check everything else carefully.

Did you check to be sure there are no other holes? The wood is still intact? The chicken wire has not been ripped?

Removing the groundhog and fixing the holes is definitely a good idea. But it can be very easy to focus on one thing and miss something else, so that is why I am suggesting you also check everything else carefully.
Thank you for pointing this out. I was in such shock and disbelief of what had happened I was looking at the whole scene for something obvious. I will definitely go back and check with a calmer more detailed eye for sure. I am a big fan of Angela Lansbury and all of the Murder She Wrote episodes I've watched will help me go back and look more extensively!

I recently had a racoon get my two ducklings that were 4 weeks old. It skinned them and ate everything but the head on one and on the other even the meat on the head was gone. They attack at night and flies seem to like daylight so maybe they did not have time to get to it yet. I am so sorry this has happened. A fox will take its prey off and eat it so maybe it was a fox and it was trying to remove it from the pen. I hope you can solve your situation because I am sure it will return for your other one if not.

I’m so sorry for your loss!!
This looks EXACTLY like when one of my livestock guard dogs went crazy and got ahold of one of my chickens. She’s a smaller Bernese Mountain Dog mix and the chicken was a California White. I’m not entirely sure how it had happened but I know for sure it was the dog. All the feathers on the back half of the chicken was missing and the vent looked just like your girls. Not a drop of blood or feathers were around.

Back
Top Bottom