Chicken Eye Symptoms

HomesteadofCao

Songster
Nov 12, 2019
Does anyone know what the white tissue thing is in her eye? Her buddies all seem fine. It’s just her with it. Her other eye looks fine just this eye.

Attachments

• 301A176F-F245-4BCB-A53D-93D2AEF84A00.jpeg
    301A176F-F245-4BCB-A53D-93D2AEF84A00.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 9
The eye has bubbles and conjunctivitis (inflammation of the tissue around the eye,) which can be a sign of a chronic respiratory disease such as MG. But more alarming to me is that the colored iris is faded and the pupil is not round, which are signs of ocular Mareks disease. How does the other eye look?

For conjunctivitis you can clean the eye twice daily, and apply plain Terramycin eye ointment, or if that is not available, use plain Neosporin or similar ointment. Are you seeing any other symptoms?

Does anyone know what the white tissue thing is in her eye? Her buddies all seem fine. It’s just her with it. Her other eye looks fine just this eye.
I have a chicken with a similar problem. One eye only and a bunch of white mayo-looking stuff in the affected eye. If I can hold the chicken still, I can wipe the "stuff" out with a kleenex but holding a chicken still when it is in discomfort can be impossible. What if I knocked it out a little with ether so that I could work on the eye? Would that work?

I have a chicken with a similar problem. One eye only and a bunch of white mayo-looking stuff in the affected eye. If I can hold the chicken still, I can wipe the "stuff" out with a kleenex but holding a chicken still when it is in discomfort can be impossible. What if I knocked it out a little with ether so that I could work on the eye? Would that work?
I definitely would not give her ether. That is a method of euthanasia and you could accidentally kill her. Instead you could wrap her in a towel burrito style, and have someone hold her while you work on the eye. The white material is pus from a sinus infection. It does need to be removed. She may need an antibiotic to treat a respiratory infection, as well as some eye ointment. Here is a graphic video on removing pus:

The eye has bubbles and conjunctivitis (inflammation of the tissue around the eye,) which can be a sign of a chronic respiratory disease such as MG. But more alarming to me is that the colored iris is faded and the pupil is not round, which are signs of ocular Mareks disease. How does the other eye look?

For conjunctivitis you can clean the eye twice daily, and apply plain Terramycin eye ointment, or if that is not available, use plain Neosporin or similar ointment. Are you seeing any other symptoms?
Her eye looks better now no more bubbles, I’ll get a pic later. Her other eye is completely normal, as well as all her buddies.

Her eye looks better now no more bubbles, I’ll get a pic later. Her other eye is completely normal, as well as all her buddies.
Here’s some pics I just took. She is also immunized when I got her from the hatchery. The first pic shows they eye with the tissue but the rest of the pics shows no symptoms.

Attachments

• 97ABE25D-BAFB-4A6A-8E3C-240890F9F7FC.jpeg
    97ABE25D-BAFB-4A6A-8E3C-240890F9F7FC.jpeg
    476 KB · Views: 2
  • BD1B5EEC-C632-4DE6-B595-D7F7A3D85964.jpeg
    BD1B5EEC-C632-4DE6-B595-D7F7A3D85964.jpeg
    425.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 905338F5-DE54-4D3B-8090-80E545891E79.jpeg
    905338F5-DE54-4D3B-8090-80E545891E79.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom