Chicken Fight

Brandy2512

Songster
May 19, 2020
Delaware
Last night I witnessed my first chicken fight, between one of my RIRs Ginny and Bella one of my ISA Browns. Normally Bella has been one of my top girls but Ginny came back with a beak full of feathers. Poor Bella has a small scratch by her comb. Anyhow, after freaking out, I kept a close eye on them. They were fighting over a grape. I’ve noticed Ginny being really aggressive and going after Bella any time she is near her. Bella is trying to stay away from her. None of the other chickens are picking on her though & I haven’t really noticed Ginny going after anyone else. Should I keep Ginny from free-range time today or would that make it worse? Don’t know if this matters, but Ginny has recently developed the largest, reddest comb & wattles. They are about 20 weeks old.

No, it is pecking order. You will see a change in behavior and pecking order as they come into lay. Letting them free range together should be perfectly fine.

However, PO can get more than just PO, and a bully can result. So, have at least 2 feed and 2 water stations. Any PO issues or bully will not keep the target from eating and drinking. Also, make sure there is ample room in run to allow a lower PO chicken to respectfully (in chicken terms) keep far enough away from the higher level chicken. Often cited as 10' distance, but essentially you don't want them to only have a few feet from side to side (narrow run). Do not have any dead ends - so, if a sheet of plywood or pallet were propped up against a wall, it should not be in a corner, there should be two ways to get in/out of that area, otherwise a PO issue or bully will flail the lower PO chicken mercilessly bc the other one can't get away - trapped in a corner. Adding visual disruptions in the run helps them to get out of sight of each other - for example, a pallet as mentioned above, or a large potted plant, or a higher roost, etc.

Thank you so much! I already have 2 water & food stations, so I am good there. No dead ends. We’ll see how free ranging goes this afternoon. They all seem to be giving Ginny a wide berth this morning.

No major fights done then. However, I did notice that all my RIRs seem to be more aggressive than they used to be. They definitely let the others know when they want a particular treat, blade of grass or bug, lol. They did fine free ranging together. I also watched them when they were heading up to the roosts. Minor normal squabbles. It’s just weird because the pecking order seems to be changing. 2 of my big ISAs, Luna & Bella, used to be the top girls but that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore.

It’s just weird because the pecking order seems to be changing.
Pecking order is fluid, can change all the time.

Don’t know if this matters, but Ginny has recently developed the largest, reddest comb & wattles. They are about 20 weeks old.
Yep, hormones are flowing!

Back
Top Bottom