Chicken Gnocchi

With the soup, it's not so much the boiling to make it soft. You cut it up into little pieces for soup, so toughness or stringiness is not a problem. Canned soup is made from commercial egg layers when they slow down laying.
Ahh okay that makes sense

Grinding an old bird that hasn't rested is helpful, but not sufficient. Wish it were otherwise. Unless your grind is very fine (in which case, the sausage's texture will be "mealy"), there will still be a surprising amount of chew. Possibly a long cure sausage might overcome that, but I don't make those, so can't speak from experience.

Sincerely, a sausage maker.

Molpet, thanks for the information.

I was just trying to point out that even older chickens that are tough can be put into soup. Tough meat stands up to overcooking, and when it is cut small you can't tell that it's tough.
Very true, but there's a world of difference between just tough older chicken and a tough older chicken that hasn't been rested through rigor mortis. I once culled a rooster and threw him right in the stock pot for dog food and I could barely even cut the meat with a very sharp knife. I thought I was going to have to go get the sawzall 🤣

Very true, but there's a world of difference between just tough older chicken and a tough older chicken that hasn't been rested through rigor mortis. I once culled a rooster and threw him right in the stock pot for dog food and I could barely even cut the meat with a very sharp knife. I thought I was going to have to go get the sawzall 🤣
Agreed. It's one of those life experiences where you do it once, and then never again.

Back
Top Bottom