Chicken head injury

MnChickenGal

Hatching
Apr 24, 2022
I found my chicken all bloodied up yesterday afternoon and couldn’t find the cause of the injury. There is dried blood on both of her ears. I have three other hens. The one pictured here (Flo) is bottom of the pecking order and I fear that the cause was one of the other girls going after her. They have never been this aggressive so I have no idea what could have caused it. I did recently (2 weeks ago) restrict their run area but they still have ample room, 175 sqft.

I cleaned off the wound and isolated her last night and plan to tonight as well.

When do you think it would be safe to reintroduce her? Is there any way to ensure this doesn’t happen again?
318C3F52-524C-4551-8D55-1D5B5BDCCA35.jpeg

Attachments

• 2AC08E78-10A8-4A8A-8F83-212A11CC46B3.jpeg
    2AC08E78-10A8-4A8A-8F83-212A11CC46B3.jpeg
    686.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Poor thing. She may have been pecked or was running into some wire fencing to get away from them, or both. Are her eyes okay? Do you have any saline or Vetericyn that you can clean her off with? Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be used on deeper scrapes.

You could separate her in a wire dog crate inside the coop with food and water where they cannot get to her, but where she would probably feel more comfortable.

Do they go outside to free range? Eventually when she heals, I would try some supervised free ranging together, and see if it is just one bully, and how they all act.

I found my chicken all bloodied up yesterday afternoon and couldn’t find the cause of the injury. There is dried blood on both of her ears. I have three other hens. The one pictured here (Flo) is bottom of the pecking order and I fear that the cause was one of the other girls going after her. They have never been this aggressive so I have no idea what could have caused it. I did recently (2 weeks ago) restrict their run area but they still have ample room, 175 sqft.

I cleaned off the wound and isolated her last night and plan to tonight as well.

When do you think it would be safe to reintroduce her? Is there any way to ensure this doesn’t happen again?
View attachment 3077483
Poor girl.
Since it's on both sides could she have gotten her head stuck in something?

Thanks everyone. I looked everywhere for some blood and feathers to see if she got her head stuck in something because that’s what I assumed initially too. No luck though so it remains a mystery. I wonder if she bonked her head and got a concussion which caused her ears to bleed? She doesn’t show any neurological deficiencies, however.

I have her inside for a second night tonight but plan to try the dog crate in the coop tomorrow

I’ve tried multiple times to clean her up but the blood is really caked on there. Any ideas for easier removal that won’t hurt her tender head?

Back
Top Bottom