Chicken hurt her leg

Eleni12

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
North Carolina
My barred rock jumped like a wild girl off her ledge and hurt her leg. No swelling or bleeding but she is not putting pressure on her leg. I have wrapped it up and she has still been acting like her normal self. I believe it is her upper leg.. so the thigh? Any suggestions? This happened about 4 days ago. I have noticed today she will put her hurt leg almost on the ground and she has been hobbling around the coop. (I did not have to separate her since it is only her and her sister in the run/coop)

My barred rock jumped like a wild girl off her ledge and hurt her leg. No swelling or bleeding but she is not putting pressure on her leg. I have wrapped it up and she has still been acting like her normal self. I believe it is her upper leg.. so the thigh? Any suggestions? This happened about 4 days ago. I have noticed today she will put her hurt leg almost on the ground and she has been hobbling around the coop. (I did not have to separate her since it is only her and her sister in the run/coop)
If nothing feels off or out of place then it was most likely a minor sprain.

If she's improving daily, I'd just keep watch on her.
See that she's able to easily get to food/water.

Do check your wrappings daily to ensure they are not getting too tight, that circulation in the leg is good, etc.

So I noticed her skin was dark green on her thigh. It is not green anymore and she is hobbling around a bunch more and still laying/eating/drinking. I have noticed she hasn't been using her toes yet to dig or anything. It will be 2 weeks on Friday since her injury. Does this healing process take a month or so?

Back
Top Bottom