Chicken isn't eating or drinking, pooping yellow and clear, had/has parasites, hasn't laid egg in awhile.

Chickaletta_the_chicken

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2022
Hello,
I have a hen who is about 7 months old. She started acting weird maybe almost a week ago or about a week. So we separated her, and syringe fed her water. She was snoring and had mucus in her throat Then we saw parasites in her poop and took her to the vet. The vet gave us antibiotics which she has finished and told us she had parasites, so we got the medication that she told us to get and today was her last day getting it. She is still not eating or drinking from what we've seen. She walks sometimes but other times just falls asleep. I want to check tomorrow to see if her crop is emptying. I'm not sure what to do next or what she has exactly. Thank you for you wanting to help out.

Where are you located in the world?

Photos of the pullet and her poop may be helpful.

What parasites did you see in the poop (roundworms?), what was the medication name and dose that you gave?

What antibiotic did the vet give you?

Did the vet mention respiratory disease like Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis? Did they give a diagnosis?

What do you feed including treats?

Has she started laying eggs?

Check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight, look inside her beak for any lesions, white or yellowish pasty material. Note if there's any bad or rotten odors.

Work on getting her hydrated. Electrolytes for a day or so would be good. See if she will eat wet feed or bits of egg.

Where are you located in the world?

Photos of the pullet and her poop may be helpful.

What parasites did you see in the poop (roundworms?), what was the medication name and dose that you gave?

What antibiotic did the vet give you?

Did the vet mention respiratory disease like Infectious Coryza, Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis? Did they give a diagnosis?

What do you feed including treats?

Has she started laying eggs?

Check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight, look inside her beak for any lesions, white or yellowish pasty material. Note if there's any bad or rotten odors.

Work on getting her hydrated. Electrolytes for a day or so would be good. See if she will eat wet feed or bits of egg.
Hi!
I live in northern America. I'll see if I can get pictures. The parasites were one that sounds kind of like capderia and one that sounds like ascarid. The medication was safeguard dewormer for goats and we have her 0.1 ml a day for 5 days. The antibiotic doesnt have a specific name shown. The package does say orapac but that might not be the medicine. She said her lungs were good, and she didnt know exactly why she had mucus. We have a few different foods like dumor calcium, seed scratch, purina egg layer pellets, we have dried bugs for treats. She did start laying before she got sick. I havent tried egg yet but she just doesnt want to eat anything, sometimes it seems like she wants to. I saw some yellowish things in her mouth but that could just be from the food we give her. I didnt get a chance to check her crop this morning. What can I use for hydration? Thank you for taking your time to help us out.

(Usually she poops a yellowish clear but now it's started to look at pictured)

Attachments

• IMG_20220907_145219648.jpg
    IMG_20220907_145219648.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220907_145148586.jpg
    IMG_20220907_145148586.jpg
    607 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The parasites were one that sounds kind of like capderia and one that sounds like ascarid. The medication was safeguard dewormer for goats and we have her 0.1 ml a day for 5 days.

I saw some yellowish things in her mouth but that could just be from the food we give her. I didnt get a chance to check her crop this morning. What can I use for hydration?
Could it have been Capillary worms?
How much does she weigh?
For Capillary worms I would have dosed her at 0.23ml per pound of weight once a day for 5 days with the Safeguard.
Can you take another sample of poop to your vet to see if the worms are gone?

Try to get a good look inside her beak to see if it was food or if she has any lesions in there. That would be important.

For hydration, you can give her electrolytes for a couple of days. Plain water is always good too if you don't have electrolytes.
Wet soupy feed will help get some fluids into her too.

How much does she weigh?
For Capillary worms I would have dosed her at 0.23ml per pound of weight once a day for 5 days with the Safeguard.

Try to get a good look inside her beak to see if it was food or if she has any lesions in there. That would be important.

For hydration, you can give her electrolytes for a couple of days. Plain water is always good too if you don't have electrolytes.
Possibly, I'm not sure. I don't see anything in her mouth. We don't know how much she weighs, I can maybe try and get back to you. We got electrolytes and we gave her some today. Thank you for your suggestions!

How much does she weigh?

Update: she seems more interested in food, the vet gave us antibiotics again. She was about 3.8 pounds at night

Back
Top Bottom