Chicken issue - mites?

henny_penny101

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2024
Hi Everyone,

I'm in Massachusetts and a newbie. I have a flock of 5 hens that are just under a year old. They've been eating, pooping and laying eggs alot and their behavior seems normal. However I've noticed that they have started losing feathers below their vent area and one in particular is pretty substantial. It seems that 4 out of the 5 chickens have some feather loss in this area. Is it a mite infestation?

Edited to add: I just went to the coop in the dark and checked for mites. I checked their roosts using the so called paper test and also checked a few of the hens as well and couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what's happening and how to remedy this situation.

Henny Penny 101

PXL_20240301_221016604.jpg
PXL_20240301_221144935.jpg
PXL_20240301_221210851.jpg

Last edited:
:welcome I would guess that the one chicken that does not have feather loss is feather pecking/plucking her flock mates. Do an on site search on Pin Less Peepers. They can stop and sometimes cure this bad habit.

I agree that it may be feather picking. Some possible reasons for this are overcrowding, too much light inside the nesting areas, feeding less than 16-20% protein in a balanced feed or too many treats, not getting outside to roam, and yes, bullies. Some breeds may be more aggressive. Have you added any new birds recently? How much space do they have, and how many chickens?

:welcome I would guess that the one chicken that does not have feather loss is feather pecking/plucking her flock mates. Do an on site search on Pin Less Peepers. They can stop and sometimes cure this bad habit.
Thank you. I'll take a closer look today to see if I can catch some bullying. Thanks for the tip on the pin less peepers.

I agree that it may be feather picking. Some possible reasons for this are overcrowding, too much light inside the nesting areas, feeding less than 16-20% protein in a balanced feed or too many treats, not getting outside to roam, and yes, bullies. Some breeds may be more aggressive. Have you added any new birds recently? How much space do they have, and how many chickens?
Thanks for your response. I haven't added any new birds, I'll check the feed on the protein levels, their nesting area is dark. I'll have to measure their exact space but I think it's sufficient. I'm wondering if it's just been winter so they don't go out to roam as much. Also only one section of their run is covered so when the weather isn't good they stay more confined to the covered area. I have bard rocks, and wyanndotes that have been raised together since they were chicks. Thanks again for all of these tips.

I had to rehome some beautiful silver and gold laced wyandottes because they were a bit mean to my other more meek chickens. My barred rocks were a little pushy as well. My Marans were top of the pecking order. Of course, that was probably just my chickens since we had faverolles, bantams, and every other breed at the time. But, yes, staying in more in cold or wet weather could be the problem.

I had to rehome some beautiful silver and gold laced wyandottes because they were a bit mean to my other more meek chickens. My barred rocks were a little pushy as well. My Marans were top of the pecking order. Of course, that was probably just my chickens since we had faverolles, bantams, and every other breed at the time. But, yes, staying in more in cold or wet weather could be the problem.
There is one golden wyandotte that must be the bully given she is the only one that doesn't have missing feathers on her bum although I haven't caught the behavior. Letting them out more frequently as the weather cooperates. Will keep an eye out.

Back
Top Bottom