Chicken Issues, Please Help!

Manzer Chickens

Hatching
Mar 16, 2017
BC
Hi,
New member. My family had about 40 chickens back east for a few years in my youth and my duties were limited to egg collection and being a kid who was interested in other things. As luck would have it, a year and a half ago, my wife and I bought a 5 acre property (Fraser Valley, BC) which came with 9 chickens (2 Rhode Islands, 2 Buff Rocks, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 1 Orpington, 1 Sex Link and 1 Buff Orpington and a "smallish" Blue Andalusian Rooster. Ages unknown. Their previous living conditions were poor - aged coop 6x10x8 , for the pen and a covered outdoor fenced area 10x10x8 another outdoor but covered overhead with chicken fencing only so they could get to worms and whatever. Turns out, rats were living in the area as there are 2 more aged outbuildings within 10 feet.. So we had a friend build a smaller pen but raised off the ground, with a pen to walk around and get fresh air if we weren't home, and secured, or so we thought, he didn't put wire under the pen area (we lost site of this as we were in the midst of a reno and didn't find out til early summer) , fenced it off. Rats figured out a way into the pen area but we close the coop at dusk, or earlier. Sadly, I've become obsessed with rats now. I've cut the population down using a couple of techniques and always away from the birds. But rats drive me crazy and it's my fault as i never picked up the excess food. That's changed. :) But I feel it may be too late...

Our first summer, we decided to set them free on an fenced acre of our backyard which has a variety of plants, fruit trees, a pond, etc. Food wise- i had them on scratch, then occasionally oyster shells and tried laying pellets but they didn't really take to them. We gave them whatever veggies we didn't eat or cook, chopped, and they had the bugs and worms from the backyard. They loved it, and we were loving it as were getting between 4-6 eggs, some HUGE, daily until winter. Then maybe 1 every week which was acceptable as they were molting.

But tragedy struck. Since late fall of last year, I've buried one of the Rhodes and one the Buff Rock within a couple of months of one another and now my last Buff Rock is going down but this is a little different, which I will get into shortly.

The 1st 2 became limp for a couple of days, went loopy (seizures), then died, no eating, no drinking. Sadly the flock got to her the evening prior to me noticing. My first lesson was to sequester the Rhode after I opened the coop and and saw some blood on the pine shavings and on the poor little Rhode. So she was put into one of the nests but covered off from the rest of the flock.

When it was the Buffs turn, I had a dog kennel but kept her in the same coop as the 2nd Rhode and the Buff Orp laid by the kennel. The only difference, was that shArrrrrrrggggghhH!!!!!!

No vets were available, so I took to the Net and found this site. BTW, thanks for all of the great info. Since they wold eat or drink, I gave them water - sometimes mixed with Apple Cider Vinegar (which is now mixed in with at least one of their water buckets) or Protein Powder. What was strange? The Rhode was the smallest but toughest of the flock and always a little gimpy but that didn't stop her. The Buff Rock was the most active and adventurous and we were clueless as to what was going on.

Aside from the not eating or drinking, the Rhode couldn't walk, pooh was runny and stuck to her and didn't move at all, the 1st Buff same but eyes were white.

To the present..

Over the last couple of days my last Buff Rock seems paralyzed, incontinent and won't eat or drink. No walking but she can move her wings a little but can't sit up straight anymore. Zero balancing skills Both legs seem locked with their toes claws pointed somewhat locked forward. I cleaned her up today as her kennel needed it. Her stool was green/brown mix and gumball-sized clumps of pooh to her and was a mess. Not so much now but the clumps of pooh were the size of old school gumballs. She does open her eyes but no weird seizures (fingers crossed).

I haven't tried giving her water via a Syringe yet because I feel this weird sensation that the reason why the other 2 went so fast after I tried giving them water or my water mixes hurt them or added to them passing. I can't get her to a vet and really don't know what she is suffering from...

I'm thinking on making her a sling to hang in to alleviate the excrement issue.

I welcome any advice that you may have and sorry for the novel.. Please note, that we are not fans of chemicals so alternative and holistic options are preferred.

Last edited:
I haven't heard of something like this, exactly, but paralyzed usually is related to Marek's disease, did you look that up?

thanks. looking into now. no eye issues yet :( the claws are pointing in but the toes are somewhat pointed forward. however, i read that they only need to have one of the symptoms. if it's coming from dander, should i even keep her in the same coop as the rest? please note, that she is currently in a kennel but it seems thats more for her safety as she may pass sooner than later :(

i have no idea if they were vaccinated or not. we plan to add another 6 (this spring 6month-1yr olds) and will ensure that they are all vaccinated. i read that the vaccine is natural and we are looking to eventually go full organic as we have no clue about the history of these poor birds..

thanks. looking into now. no eye issues yet :( the claws are pointing in but the toes are somewhat pointed forward. however, i read that they only need to have one of the symptoms. if it's coming from dander, should i even keep her in the same coop as the rest? please note, that she is currently in a kennel but it seems thats more for her safety as she may pass sooner than later :(

i have no idea if they were vaccinated or not. we plan to add another 6 (this spring 6month-1yr olds) and will ensure that they are all vaccinated. i read that the vaccine is natural and we are looking to eventually go full organic as we have no clue about the history of these poor birds..
I would not get new birds, anytime soon, and the vaccine is subjective, birds exposed to marek's, may become carriers, regardless of symptoms. Many of "us" want to breed for natural resistance, as some of the vaccines may help reduce symptoms, but also make it more likely that you could spread the diseases because you don't know you have it in your flock due to hiding carriers/symptoms.

I have 50+ birds and a closed flock. I only bring in new chicks/hatching eggs, and then they are separated for up to 4 months in the house while I determine their health. They go outside when they are big enough to survive nature. LOL

Research vaccines before you make a decision.

Back
Top Bottom