Chicken issues

Fishsticks06

Songster
Jun 1, 2019
Western North Carolina.
Hi again. I have cumulative chicken issues and I need help solving all of them..

So my neighbor and I just saved 10 chickens from overcrowding, and I took 3 home with me. I put them all in my closed off coop with a run so they will have time to acclimate to their new area. One of the chickens has diarrhea and it’s dried all over her butt. I’ll have to wash her clean, and that isn’t an issue. I’m thinking these chickens haven’t been wormed, and my neighbors already offered a wormicide that’s orally administered for free. Should I worm the entire flock? Will worms spread despite the chickens being separated and quarantined for two weeks?

I also have an elderly hen who’s emaciated, lethargic, and now has scabs. Her scabs just appeared and I think it’s from bullying, so where should I house her? She’s been taken refuge in the other coop and sleeping in the nesting boxes to get away from the others. I put her back in the main coop for the night. Will she be fine? She’s also practically starved and I need to put weight on her. My neighbor suggested force-feeding her baby bird food, since it’s very high in calories and will get her to eat. He has a guinea named Bobby who he’s been feeding manually since November, and Bobby is a lot more healthy now.

Additionally I have 2-4 week old chicks who will need housed soon, and I was planning on putting them in the segregated coop, but it will be preoccupied. I’ll need to build another or buy one if I don’t have any time.

I have so much that I need to do but I’m asking for advice from experts since it’s a bit overwhelming right now.

Worm eggs can be picked up on the bottom of your shoes and unintentionally brought in to a different pen contaminating the soil. It's best to worm all your birds.
What's the name of the wormicide?

Inspect your older hen for mites/lice especially on her rear end around her vent.

Worm eggs can be picked up on the bottom of your shoes and unintentionally brought in to a different pen contaminating the soil. It's best to worm all your birds.
What's the name of the wormicide?

Inspect your older hen for mites/lice especially on her rear end around her vent.
I’ll ask tomorrow. They buy it over-the-counter from a veterinarian friend.

I’ve checked my hen for mites and lice, I honestly can't find symptoms for any on her. They’re also none I can find in any of the other hens.

You can try giving your older hen chopped boiled egg mixed in her feed, add lukewarm water to the mixture in a bowl and see if she'll eat it. She mightve been at the bottom of the pecking order and got beat up.

You can try giving your older hen chopped boiled egg mixed in her feed, add lukewarm water to the mixture in a bowl and see if she'll eat it. She mightve been at the bottom of the pecking order and got beat up.
Thanks. I’ve noticed she’s improved since I’ve had her isolated, but now that space is occupied with my new refuges. She used to be my most dominant hen, and I guess she’s fell off the pecking order since she’s so weak.

Back
Top Bottom