Chicken Keeping in the United Kingdom?

BasenjiFan

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Arizona
This is just a curiosity of mine; do any of you well-informed BYCers know how to find laws/ordinances on chicken keeping in the United Kingdom?

I've been accepted to several schools of veterinary medicine (finally!!), one of which is located in Edinburgh, Scotland. I can easily find the municipal codes regarding chicken keeping around the two U.S. schools I've been accepted at, but not Scotland. As I am seriously considering this school, I thought I'd see if I could keep chickens there during the four years of study. I've searched Edinburgh.org, including Midlothian (where most of the school is located) and the Midlothian Council website... but I've found nothing (that doesn't mean that it's not hiding there). Any tips will be appreciated!

I am not sure about Edinburgh, but keeping chickens in your garden in the UK is ok, but roosters are not allowed in the towns and cities generally.

I am lucky that I am on the ouskirts of my own town, but it is an increasing trend in the UK to keep a few chickens, maybe Highlander will have a better idea specifically about Scotland.

Good luck and welcome to the UK if you do come over.

Jena.

I'm very rural so I didn't have any worries, but I will do some digging for you in the morning. I'll let you know what I can find.
smile.png

Jena - go to bed, it's late!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom