Chicken lump in mouth

I will have to wait til my husband gets in from work to take a picture . He can hold it and I will photograph . I have never seen this before, I have had chickens for over 30 years

She does not have an odor but once she will drool liquid out of her mouth. She is still eating and drinking . It is raining hard here, if I get wet I get sick. But I am going tomorrow pick up some wormer and hopefully can get a picture of inside her mouth. The lump is the color of their grower feed.

I have found a fiber in one of the chicks but this does not seem to be the case. I will check again tho.

It is a black thread around her tongue and the lump is her tongue ....I held her down and snipped what I could from the front but her tongue is growing around it. I don't know what to do. She is eating and drinking still

Can you try to get the thread cut all the way? Has she swallowed part of it? This is a common problem with strings, thread, or hairs. They can be eaten, and after wrapping around the tongue may go down the throat and cut off circulation to the tongue. If the thread is cut in two, the tongue swelling might go down in time. Is a vet possible?

No vet to take a chicken too. I am hoping with the front cut away it will work loose. I have never before now seen this happen or either I just did not recognize what was happening. It is just crazy. What will happen if it does not come out.

Back
Top Bottom