Chicken mamas Help

Guinealand

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
Are chickens good Guinea mamas. I had two of my chickens claim a guinea nest and they're just hatching right now. when I went out there today there was a dead keet a couple feet away from them. I checked under them and they have more keets under them. Was this just an accidental death or are they not good mothers to guineas.

It was most likely just a accidental death, or a problem with the keet. I believe that chickens can be good mothers to guineas, but guineas are very different than chickens in their social lives. The guineas will chase and harass the chickens, since that is a normal guinea behavior. But the chickens are chickens and will not understand, therefore just be harassed and stressed out. I would personally not let the chickens raise the keets.

Are chickens good Guinea mamas. I had two of my chickens claim a guinea nest and they're just hatching right now. when I went out there today there was a dead keet a couple feet away from them. I checked under them and they have more keets under them. Was this just an accidental death or are they not good mothers to guineas.
It can be an individual chicken thing. Although a rarity, some chickens will kill hatchlings that are not chicks or look different from the rest.

I have used broody chickens to hatch guinea eggs but I don't let them brood the keets. The problems that the imprinting causes when they are adults aren't worth it.

I urge you to gather the keets and put them in a brooder of their own.

Back
Top Bottom