Chicken not eating, with a painful abdomen?

TreeTreeZR

In the Brooder
May 3, 2020
I've been reading through so many threads here for the last 3 weeks, the chicken fell ill about 1st April with lethargy, lack of laying, not eating but drinking well, not pooping normally (mostly urine, with thin squiggles of green matter). Her poo was very Greasy and wobbles like jelly. It's lessening this week and there's more poop(but still not her regular ammount or even close.to.normal.poops) over the day but still mostly liquid with thin squiggles of green.
I thought she was egg bound as she was puffed up with her body in that tipped position that looks like straining - so I started Epsom salt baths, fed extra calcium and magnesium, and did soft egg bind massages(she absolutely loves baths) that was a month ago and 3 different meds ago she still isn't 100% or even attempting to eat foods
Her comb went down and hasn't ever come back up yet
How long.do.chixkens take to recovery from.beong near death like she was?

The chicken has gained weight from a low of 1.9kg last week to 2.4kg as of 1st May but regretfully I don't know her starting weight but she still seems more boney that she was. She has now done roughly 4 caecals in the last week.
She is nearly 2 years old.
She is an ISA Brown. She was laying regularly up to 1st April

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She has been very tired, at first there was lots.of Crop emptying difficulties but now I'm not sure if theres an impaction in the gizzard?
When picked up she makes noises of pain and her abdomen is warm to touch

Her 1 sister has some plucked front feathers, which iv responded by upping protein levels as I wasn't sure if the sick chicken had plucked her own feathers due to lack of protein? I feed show bird with various supplements and thought that these had enough protein but now I think not. Her sister continually has soft shelled eggs despite me adding a liquid calcium to her feed every day.

Meds I've tried for the sick bird include;
Olive oil tube fed bc thought was impaction but her crop clearing perfectly after oxytetracycline
Antibiotics first I tried nilstatin from 10th April, then on 23rd April I started oxytetracycline and amprolium.
They were last wormed 1st April with the sick chicken shitting out hair worms, I have done 3 redoses now with ivermectin (horse tube) and one dose of amprolium.
Also I've been doing 3 days on 3 days off of aspirin in her tube fed mix

I have been tube feeding her with hand rearing mix, electrolytes/vits(avilyte and avivital), yellow sulphur, ive also done powdered crickets, and calcium/magnesium. I also put powdered preboitics and probiotics, and I've also put water kefir into her tube fed mixture once or twice a week. I've withdrawn ACV during her illness, also none of her vits have thiamine. I only give her 40ml of tube fed formula at a time otherwise she regurgitates it.

She hasn't been eating the food her sister eats, even though I've offered her every single day. Her sister eats it all, protein first and preferred. Sick chicken has eaten a few insects but not her normal amount.

For both chickens:
Show bird feeder, which now winter I've added corn, oats, BOSS. And I make it into a mash in stainless steel bowls two to three times a day
Seaweed supplement
Yellow.sulphu
DE
Canned dog food
Crickets/mealworms
Calcium liquid supplement on protein
Avi-lyte
Avi-vital
Salad greens, leafy greens, lettuce, kale,
Occasional breads or leftovers from my plate I have to eaten like rice or farinata.
They are free range in my backyard, with grass, there's a lot of crickets in my backyard. I give protein every single day in a hot mash now it's winter.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
The sick chicken has a red plucked bumfor 3+ months? I thought this was from mites so first I put bepanthen on her bum everyday and also started cleaning the coop with hot water, then neem oil spray and then when it still was red bum I used last coopex spray. Her bum is still red.
She has been indoors most daytime and every single night since April 1st, wearing a diaper, and I've started using Sudocrem on her bright red bum - it's improved slightly but doesn't this prove it's not mites? There is no smell from the vent, no eggs from mites.
The first thing I treat her with was Nilstat in case it was sour crop and vent gleet but her bum hasn't changed. She also hasntbeen plucking herself either as I've never seen her do.it day or night.
She's been sleeping in my bed since April 10th.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I discovered a container collecting water that they may have drunk out of, but since discovering they've had stainless steel bowls in a no.tip dog bowl that I clean with vinegar/scourer each day. Only one chicken is really sick tho but the other has definite loss of.egg quality should I be giving the not sick.chick.oxymav b to?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She is eating for the last 3 days for first time since 1st April, but she only takes lettuce if it has been cut into very small bits. She has been drinking oxytetracycline and she just finished th round of oxymav b yesterday. She hasn't eaten any of the chicken food I've offered her. She has eaten yogurt at times but won't take apple.sauce or even the hand rearing mixture I tube feed her, she won't drink herself or she won't drink as much as she needs to drink.
I have been tube feeding her 3-4 times a day since April 10th. She has been very upset with me the last 3 days as her energy returns

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny, recently a few caecals. Mostly urates. At times gooey/jelly like. Still not enough poops,.still wrong texture and colour, still.lotsa .liquid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Ivermectin
Nilstatin
Oxymav b and amprolium

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I am very low income, the reason I have chickens is to lessen grocery bills(I also garden to reduce food cost).
I have vet nursing experience but not enough to diagnose or solve the problem myself.
Is my next step a faecal.float at the vet does anyone know.costing for nsw vets?I've read a lot of discussions here, and haven't found poop similar to hers on the poo thread.
Should I just be continuing to offer supportive care?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She's been inside in diapers(changed every 3 hours, bum is cleaned dried and more Sudocrem applied. Housing is a Somerzby Mansion with 2 hens total, I use Lucerne chaff as bedding. I don't think my chickens like laying eggs in a poop filled coop.so I clean the coop every single day. I also dust with chicken and coop dust, DE, I spray with mineral oil mixed with neem oil, last pest treatement as coopex everywhere around the coop and in nooks of the coop. I also have put garden lime in the ground level of the coop, and I turn the soil/pebbles over once a week or once every two weeks but they have freeranhe of a small backyard. Sometimes wild birds come down to steal the spilled feed but I'm working to change that by teaching rh healthy hen to use a treadle feeder so the pigeons can't come close. I also sweep up spilled feed to deter wild birds.

How long until she gets back to normal and what else could it be if oxytetracycline and nikstat haven't fixed it
Would she live this long with peritonitis?? Her abdomen obviously still hurts her and I wonder how to fix the issue and get her eating like a horse again?

Attachments

• IMG20200402151236.jpg
    IMG20200402151236.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG20200423180839.jpg
    IMG20200423180839.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG20200502075100.jpg
    IMG20200502075100.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 7
I've been reading through so many threads here for the last 3 weeks, the chicken fell ill about 1st April with lethargy, lack of laying, not eating but drinking well, not pooping normally (mostly urine, with thin squiggles of green matter). Her poo was very Greasy and wobbles like jelly. It's lessening this week and there's more poop(but still not her regular ammount or even close.to.normal.poops) over the day but still mostly liquid with thin squiggles of green.
I thought she was egg bound as she was puffed up with her body in that tipped position that looks like straining - so I started Epsom salt baths, fed extra calcium and magnesium, and did soft egg bind massages(she absolutely loves baths) that was a month ago and 3 different meds ago she still isn't 100% or even attempting to eat foods
Her comb went down and hasn't ever come back up yet
How long.do.chixkens take to recovery from.beong near death like she was?

The chicken has gained weight from a low of 1.9kg last week to 2.4kg as of 1st May but regretfully I don't know her starting weight but she still seems more boney that she was. She has now done roughly 4 caecals in the last week.
She is nearly 2 years old.
She is an ISA Brown. She was laying regularly up to 1st April

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She has been very tired, at first there was lots.of Crop emptying difficulties but now I'm not sure if theres an impaction in the gizzard?
When picked up she makes noises of pain and her abdomen is warm to touch

Her 1 sister has some plucked front feathers, which iv responded by upping protein levels as I wasn't sure if the sick chicken had plucked her own feathers due to lack of protein? I feed show bird with various supplements and thought that these had enough protein but now I think not. Her sister continually has soft shelled eggs despite me adding a liquid calcium to her feed every day.

Meds I've tried for the sick bird include;
Olive oil tube fed bc thought was impaction but her crop clearing perfectly after oxytetracycline
Antibiotics first I tried nilstatin from 10th April, then on 23rd April I started oxytetracycline and amprolium.
They were last wormed 1st April with the sick chicken shitting out hair worms, I have done 3 redoses now with ivermectin (horse tube) and one dose of amprolium.
Also I've been doing 3 days on 3 days off of aspirin in her tube fed mix

I have been tube feeding her with hand rearing mix, electrolytes/vits(avilyte and avivital), yellow sulphur, ive also done powdered crickets, and calcium/magnesium. I also put powdered preboitics and probiotics, and I've also put water kefir into her tube fed mixture once or twice a week. I've withdrawn ACV during her illness, also none of her vits have thiamine. I only give her 40ml of tube fed formula at a time otherwise she regurgitates it.

She hasn't been eating the food her sister eats, even though I've offered her every single day. Her sister eats it all, protein first and preferred. Sick chicken has eaten a few insects but not her normal amount.

For both chickens:
Show bird feeder, which now winter I've added corn, oats, BOSS. And I make it into a mash in stainless steel bowls two to three times a day
Seaweed supplement
Yellow.sulphu
DE
Canned dog food
Crickets/mealworms
Calcium liquid supplement on protein
Avi-lyte
Avi-vital
Salad greens, leafy greens, lettuce, kale,
Occasional breads or leftovers from my plate I have to eaten like rice or farinata.
They are free range in my backyard, with grass, there's a lot of crickets in my backyard. I give protein every single day in a hot mash now it's winter.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
The sick chicken has a red plucked bumfor 3+ months? I thought this was from mites so first I put bepanthen on her bum everyday and also started cleaning the coop with hot water, then neem oil spray and then when it still was red bum I used last coopex spray. Her bum is still red.
She has been indoors most daytime and every single night since April 1st, wearing a diaper, and I've started using Sudocrem on her bright red bum - it's improved slightly but doesn't this prove it's not mites? There is no smell from the vent, no eggs from mites.
The first thing I treat her with was Nilstat in case it was sour crop and vent gleet but her bum hasn't changed. She also hasntbeen plucking herself either as I've never seen her do.it day or night.
She's been sleeping in my bed since April 10th.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I discovered a container collecting water that they may have drunk out of, but since discovering they've had stainless steel bowls in a no.tip dog bowl that I clean with vinegar/scourer each day. Only one chicken is really sick tho but the other has definite loss of.egg quality should I be giving the not sick.chick.oxymav b to?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She is eating for the last 3 days for first time since 1st April, but she only takes lettuce if it has been cut into very small bits. She has been drinking oxytetracycline and she just finished th round of oxymav b yesterday. She hasn't eaten any of the chicken food I've offered her. She has eaten yogurt at times but won't take apple.sauce or even the hand rearing mixture I tube feed her, she won't drink herself or she won't drink as much as she needs to drink.
I have been tube feeding her 3-4 times a day since April 10th. She has been very upset with me the last 3 days as her energy returns

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Runny, recently a few caecals. Mostly urates. At times gooey/jelly like. Still not enough poops,.still wrong texture and colour, still.lotsa .liquid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Ivermectin
Nilstatin
Oxymav b and amprolium

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I am very low income, the reason I have chickens is to lessen grocery bills(I also garden to reduce food cost).
I have vet nursing experience but not enough to diagnose or solve the problem myself.
Is my next step a faecal.float at the vet does anyone know.costing for nsw vets?I've read a lot of discussions here, and haven't found poop similar to hers on the poo thread.
Should I just be continuing to offer supportive care?

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She's been inside in diapers(changed every 3 hours, bum is cleaned dried and more Sudocrem applied. Housing is a Somerzby Mansion with 2 hens total, I use Lucerne chaff as bedding. I don't think my chickens like laying eggs in a poop filled coop.so I clean the coop every single day. I also dust with chicken and coop dust, DE, I spray with mineral oil mixed with neem oil, last pest treatement as coopex everywhere around the coop and in nooks of the coop. I also have put garden lime in the ground level of the coop, and I turn the soil/pebbles over once a week or once every two weeks but they have freeranhe of a small backyard. Sometimes wild birds come down to steal the spilled feed but I'm working to change that by teaching rh healthy hen to use a treadle feeder so the pigeons can't come close. I also sweep up spilled feed to deter wild birds.

How long until she gets back to normal and what else could it be if oxytetracycline and nikstat haven't fixed it
Would she live this long with peritonitis?? Her abdomen obviously still hurts her and I wonder how to fix the issue and get her eating like a horse again?
@aart @Eggcessive @casportpony

Back
Top Bottom