Chicken operated coop door?

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I've been working on an idea for a chicken-operated pop door, and it finally occurred to me that I'm going about it all wrong.

If the default is closed, it gets very complicated. If default is open, it becomes simple.

Attach the lines to the back of the cantilevered roost. Attach those lines to the bottom of the door, which is raised by springs.

The roost is raised by the height of the door. When enough chickens step on it, door closes automatically, front of the roost lowers to floor level. When chickens leave the roost, roost rises, door opens.

Alternatively, lines are attached to the top of the door and the top of the roost. Enough chickens get up on the roost, roost lowers, door shuts.

Ideas? Thoughts? I can see at least one potential problem, but there are always solutions.

I may also be seeing it entirely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:
Good point. The door in question leads out to a secure run, but it's definitely something to consider.

Do you remember any details?

I've been working on an idea for a chicken-operated pop door, and it finally occurred to me that I'm going about it all wrong.

Yes, yes you are. lol.

First Don't use this. Too much calibration. Flock gains weight or loses, flock decides NOT to roost there or part of flock, unexpected death due to predictor or illness can all be factors in the door not closing.

Even tho I stress to NOT use this, the way to do it is simple.

• Use wire rope.
  • Use pulleys, DON'T just us an eyebolt.
  • Make door nice and heavy
  • Make counterweight just a bit heavier than door.
  • Flock too light add weight to roosting bar.
  • Flock too heavy, stop feeding the so much, start a fitness plan. Oh weight, add more wait to the counterweight.
  • Don't do this sober, record video, and upload so we can see.

Was gonna write it all out but, a picture is worth a thou............ you know the thing... Now how do it get off this stage.

If you like easy and not so costly ways to do it with Linear Actuator I got diagrams.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom