Chicken poop - opinions?

Danidd

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
Have 6 barnyard mix layers, plus six hatched 2.5 months prior. Just found this poop this morning. I put it under microscope and this is what I found but I am still as clueless as before. Initial thought was larvae or fly eggs but idk. They are not moving and most squish into what appears to be mucus under the microscope at 100x see attached.
Pretty gross. Hoping someone here can help as every time in distant past I’ve taken fresh sample to our local chicken vet they say nothing is found.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpeg
    IMG_1008.jpeg
    522.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1010.jpeg
    IMG_1010.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1022.jpeg
    IMG_1022.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 8
In the first picture, it looks like your chicken may have tapeworms. Tapeworms are treated nowadays with praziquantel. That is the main ingredient in Equimax horse paste. Dosage is 0.16 ml for a 5 pound chicken given orally once, and repeated in 14 days. Just treat any chicken whose droppings look like this.

In the first picture, it looks like your chicken may have tapeworms. Tapeworms are treated nowadays with praziquantel. That is the main ingredient in Equimax horse paste. Dosage is 0.16 ml for a 5 pound chicken given orally once, and repeated in 14 days. Just treat any chicken whose droppings look like this.
Thanks. Do I treat the coop or run w anything? Should I attempt to treat the sparrows I can’t keep out of their run?

Dogs can get (tape)worms from eating fleas I think, would it be worth checking and treating for those as well?
Insects are the host for tapeworms in poultry, for example; earthworms, crickets, grasshoppers, ants, flies etc...
It's called the Indirect Lifecycle of tapeworms, similar as a dog eating an infected flea.
Keep in mind that not all insects are tapeworm infected.
Praziquantel will take care of them as stated by Eggcessive.

Thanks. Do I treat the coop or run w anything? Should I attempt to treat the sparrows I can’t keep out of their run?
It is good right now to keep their droppings picked up. As Dawg53 said, tapeworms have intermediate hosts. The chicken eats a worm, fly, beetle, snail, slug, or a grasshopper that has eaten a tapeworm egg, and then the chicken can get tapeworms. Any tapeworm eggs in poop that gets spread around in the dirt will also be infective.

Back
Top Bottom