Chicken prolapsed vent? Should I push it back in?

ArielS

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2020
The butt of my black sex link chicken. Poop buildup cleaned before picture. Looks like its been like this for a few days before I noticed. She's acting normal

Attachments

• IMG_4440.jpeg
    IMG_4440.jpeg
    540.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4441.jpeg
    IMG_4441.jpeg
    674.1 KB · Views: 13
You can try pushing back in. Does it feel like an egg could be stuck? Keep the prolapsed tissue moist with a mild oil or honey. Sugar in water in a paste also works. Once the swelling is reduced it may go back in. A human calcium tablet orally may help. A daily warm soak may also help to keep it clean and to heal.

You can try pushing back in. Does it feel like an egg could be stuck? Keep the prolapsed tissue moist with a mild oil or honey. Sugar in water in a paste also works. Once the swelling is reduced it may go back in. A human calcium tablet orally may help. A daily warm soak may also help to keep it clean and to heal.
I'll try pushing it back in again and use the oil/warm soak. I'm not sure how to tell if an egg is stuck. How much calcium would I give her? Thank you for the advice!

Pushed it back in twice but it came back out when she pooped. Will try again tomorrow with Vetericyn, calcium, and warm soaks

Coming back out when pooping or straining can be fairly normal with a prolapse. Keep it moist. Hopefully it will stay in soon.
The prolapse is dry and hard so I put oil on it. Hoping that the other treatments + honey will help soften and keep it in

Don’t let the prolapse dry out, or the tissue can die. If you have any current pictures, that might be helpful. A daily warm soak can help keep the tissue clean, soften it if it has become hard or dry, and help in healing. Then reapply the oil or honey.

The orange part is hard, in the previous picture the light yellow part was soft. Put honey and vaseline on and will soak in a few hours. quick edit:May also buy prep h and should I try pushing it back in with that hardened part?

Attachments

• IMG_4443.jpeg
    IMG_4443.jpeg
    573.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4444.jpeg
    IMG_4444.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom