Chicken Scratch - what's up with the change?

Stop buying scratch. Go to a feed mill and buy what your hens like. I recently bought a 25 pound bag of whole wheat for $11.50 and a 25 pound bag of whole oats for $6.10

That is 50 pounds of "scratch" for $17.50, plus tax
Put it in a garbage can to deter rodents.
I wish we had a mill around here in SW Florida but there is none that i know of. Tractor supply is bad news for chickens if you want eggs or baby chicks. No more feed for my chickens...the scratch full of some type of white powder (about 1/4th of the bag is powder and chicken barely touch the stuff, they made a big mess trying to get to the little bit of feed that was in the bag) and now the hens arent laying. Started first with my rooster who suddenly became sterile and now not one egg out of 1 year old hens so they will have to make do with veggies, fruit and bugs and lizards. I just hope this is irreversible for their sake and mine.

I wish we had a mill around here in SW Florida but there is none that i know of. Tractor supply is bad news for chickens if you want eggs or baby chicks. No more feed for my chickens...the scratch full of some type of white powder (about 1/4th of the bag is powder and chicken barely touch the stuff, they made a big mess trying to get to the little bit of feed that was in the bag) and now the hens arent laying. Started first with my rooster who suddenly became sterile and now not one egg out of 1 year old hens so they will have to make do with veggies, fruit and bugs and lizards. I just hope this is irreversible for their sake and mine.
What makes you think your rooster is sterile?

Stop buying scratch. Go to a feed mill and buy what your hens like. I recently bought a 25 pound bag of whole wheat for $11.50 and a 25 pound bag of whole oats for $6.10

That is 50 pounds of "scratch" for $17.50, plus tax
Put it in a garbage can to deter rodents.
My mistake. I got 50 pounds of wheat for $11.50. 75 pounds for $17.50

Back
Top Bottom