Chicken spur bleeding

flower_child3789

Hatching
Jul 1, 2023
Hi everyone,
I am not new to chickens, however this is the first time this has happened. I came out to check on my birds tonight and one of my Roos was on one leg, fair amount of bright red blood under him.

I checked him out looks like he may have lost his spur on something. He refuses to put weight on that foot.

I cleaned him off and the wound started to spray blood everywhere. I current have the foot wrapped up in vet wrap and gauze. Unsure what else I can do for him.

Attachments

• 4880B3BE-D81B-4F81-B438-85CD5A37D167.jpeg
    4880B3BE-D81B-4F81-B438-85CD5A37D167.jpeg
    847.9 KB · Views: 74
Welcome To BYC

How many roosters do you have?

Photos of him and his other foot too?

I clean off all the blood from the leg and the feathers. If the wound is still bleeding, apply pressure to help it stop.

Some use wound stop, cornstarch, flour, etc. to help stop bleeding, but those can cause a cakey mess on wounds. Usually patience and pressure works well.

Once you have cleaned the wound, you can use gauze, but it's best to use a nonstick pad if possible. Apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment, your gauze, then wrap. Check wrappings to make sure they are not too tight and cutting off circulation.
Place the rooster in his own pen with food/water and see that he's got clean dry bedding.

Check daily for a few days. If the gauze is stuck to the wounds, then wet them with something like Hibiclens or saline to help the gauze come loose.

If possible, use Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) to soak the foot/wound daily. Before wrapping back up. Don't wrap the foot while it's really wet.

Back
Top Bottom