Chicken suddenly struggling the breathe and can’t walk

CCFD9053-6950-41A4-9BA2-2701D6075567.jpeg

That was her status after I got home. She finally fell asleep but seemed to be a little better She seems to have her beak open a lot.
This is one reason I love BYC Where else can you send a picture of a chicken on the couch and not get judged :lol:

Well update. She won’t eat. She might eat a couple cherry tomatoes if I cut them for. And I need to syringe her water. She’s standing up again but when she tries to walk she stumbles around drunk and falls. So I don’t think it’s necessarily anything with her legs. Oh and she’s been separated from everyone else

Well latest update is both her legs were working but she was stumbling around like she was drunk as a Friday. But as of last night and today she seems to be walking just fine and has all of her energy back. Eating in drinking water like a pro. Actually I’m amazed at the amount of water she’s been drinking. But it is hot out. I mean ridiculously hot. She’s been away from the rest of her crew for longer than I wanted. So today she is being re-introduced but in her kennel to prevent any injuries or fights and hopefully back with her crew very very soon. That was very weird. I don’t know much about Merrick‘s disease and if that’s some thing I need to keep an eye out for in the future or what. By the way she’s acting you never know anything was ever wrong. Which is great. Because she’s a sweet girl is extremely skittish but I’m hoping she stays good to go

And for the record I’m not keeping her in the middle of the heat of the day in the kennel outside with the others. It’s too risky with the amount of heat. But early morning and And late afternoon just so everybody can get used to each other again

Well latest update is both her legs were working but she was stumbling around like she was drunk as a Friday. But as of last night and today she seems to be walking just fine and has all of her energy back. Eating in drinking water like a pro. Actually I’m amazed at the amount of water she’s been drinking. But it is hot out. I mean ridiculously hot. She’s been away from the rest of her crew for longer than I wanted. So today she is being re-introduced but in her kennel to prevent any injuries or fights and hopefully back with her crew very very soon. That was very weird. I don’t know much about Merrick‘s disease and if that’s some thing I need to keep an eye out for in the future or what. By the way she’s acting you never know anything was ever wrong. Which is great. Because she’s a sweet girl is extremely skittish but I’m hoping she stays good to go
I'm glad to hear she has improved.

Could be Marek's disease or ???? There's so many things.
I think most of the time with chickens you just take everything day by day. When one starts feeling unwell, you give supportive care and try to treat symptoms and see how it goes.

That’s what I’m gonna do take it day by day. I mean other than work either my daughter I our home in the mornings in the evenings with the chickens so if anything sparks we can catch it quick. That was all just very weird. I can tell she’s eager to get back out and about though

Back
Top Bottom