Chicken unable to stand after Corid treatment.

JennyWhelan

Hatching
Apr 9, 2023
My chicken is 4 years old and has started to decline over the last two months. I quarrentined her and took her to the vet where she was diagnosed with coccidiosis. I treated her with 2tsp of Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. She has made little improvement l, even with vitamin supplement and uses her wings to help her stand because she is very unsteady.
The vet mentioned that he couldnt get a thermometer all the way inserted and was considering egg bound until he realized how long the situation has been going on.

It's unusual that a 4 year old would suffer from Coccidosis.
What were her symptoms?
What is her breed and diet?
all chickens will test positive for Coccidosis, they all have some and it's usually not an issue unless it overwhelms the system. What does between her legs feel like?

That is what I thought too! The vet felt her and ruled out water belly because she feels normal just skinny. There were no signs of lice or mites when she was examined too. She is a New Hampshire Red and the flock is fed Dumor Layer Pellets (for better or worse as I know food has been controversial lately), scratch grain, and garden scraps with a side of grit. I feel terribly that this has gone on so long for her and luckily the rest of my flock seems fine.

My chicken is 4 years old and has started to decline over the last two months. I quarrentined her and took her to the vet where she was diagnosed with coccidiosis. I treated her with 2tsp of Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. She has made little improvement l, even with vitamin supplement and uses her wings to help her stand because she is very unsteady.
The vet mentioned that he couldnt get a thermometer all the way inserted and was considering egg bound until he realized how long the situation has been going on.
In general it is better in most case to leave the hen with the flock. Isolation stresses chickens, some to the point that their health declines because of the isolation rather than the problem they were isolated for.
There is absolutely no reason to isolate a hen that has coccidiosis.
I'm inclined to think that coccidiosis may not be the health problem causing your hen to be so weak and listless.
Any vet that can't insert a thermometer into a hens vent and then lets the keeper take the hen home without investigating why there was an obstruction isn't a vet worth taking your chickens to.

In general it is better in most case to leave the hen with the flock. Isolation stresses chickens, some to the point that their health declines because of the isolation rather than the problem they were isolated for.
There is absolutely no reason to isolate a hen that has coccidiosis.
I'm inclined to think that coccidiosis may not be the health problem causing your hen to be so weak and listless.
Any vet that can't insert a thermometer into a hens vent and then lets the keeper take the hen home without investigating why there was an obstruction isn't a vet worth taking your chickens to.
Unfortunately, the vet offerred an x-ray to examine further but the cost was prohibitive. Do you have any suggestions to what may be causing the blockage then? I dont feel comfortable returning her to the flock when she cannot walk.

Unfortunately, the vet offerred an x-ray to examine further but the cost was prohibitive. Do you have any suggestions to what may be causing the blockage then? I dont feel comfortable returning her to the flock when she cannot walk.
Any obstruction in the oviduct can put pressure on the nerves that run down the spine. This can cause partial paralysis. The only way to find out is to either have an Xray taken or to investigate by hand if the blockage is low enough in the reproductive tract to be felt by inserting a finger.
What is concerning me here is if the blockage is low enough down the digestive tract to block the insertion of a thermometer then one should be able to feel (and the vet take a sample of) what is causing the blockage.
I'm not a vet but I suspect the hen has been laying internally and it's possible that there are partially formed eggs backed up in her reproductive tract.

You can try dosing her with calcium citrate and see if that encourages her to push the blockage out. I have my doubts that after this length of time this will work.

I'm sorry to write if you want to save your hen then with the vet you have currently who wont investigate without an xray you don't have many options.
Internal laying is a common problem and with many cases the kindest thing to do is to euthanise the hen. This would seem particularly applicable given your hen can't walk.

It's a tough call.

I don't know anything about your experience in dealing with chickens, with what you are and are not comforatable with, what facilities you have, not even which country you are in.
If this was my hen and having accepted that she is likely to die anyway if her condition isn't treated and maybe die even if the immmediate problem is treated, I would be tempted to find out how far into the hens vent the blockage is; much like one would for testing for egg binding.
Get some coconut oil and grease your forefinger and carefully insert it into the hens vent. If you have a look at a diagram of a hens reproductive tract, you will be able to see that you can insert a finger at least a couple of inches before coming to the bend where the uterus ends and the isthmus starts. If you find a blockage in this area then in theory and with a great deal of care you can remove it, or at least remove enough of it to relieve some of the pressure and possibly the hen will push out the rest of the blockage on her own.
This is not for the sqeamish but I've removed broken egg shell from inside a hens vent who was egg bound by doing this and the hen was fine.
If you think this is something you could do then reply on this thread and I'll explain in more detail.

Back
Top Bottom