Chicken was attacked, falls to one side

rachellea

Chirping
May 28, 2023
Hi, my 12 week old frizzle polish chicken was attacked by a dog while free ranging yesterday. (Neighbors) and by attack I mean the dog held the chicken to the ground and licked it.

Fast forward realizing the chicken was alive I brought the baby inside .
For the night I separated it, gave it electrolytes, egg yolks, wide spread antibiotic.

Today,
So much has changed but so little . The chicken is awake more and attempts to walk but falls forward or to one side. It holds its neck funny sometimes but generally speaking, it’s more alert than it was yesterday . It kicks both legs like crazy when you pick it up. I use a syringe to feed the baby.

So what now. The wings are def both broken and I’ve wrapped the poor chicken . It shits with no blood . It can eat and drink but walking is not its idea of a good time . It’s a Polish so , there’s no getting good pics feathers cover everything. There were no open wounds but I’m thinking if it’s never gonna walk again I should cull it. Mostly I would be concerned if it was t falling forward or to one side, need advice please
6EF726BB-42B0-497E-B232-11F978390657.jpeg

Do you see any bones poking through the skin from the wings? If they are broken, it cannot use those to help balance. You could try a chicken sling, but first, some rolled towels to position the chick in front of food and water would be helpful. Feed some wet chick feed and egg, and offer water up to its beak several times a day. It can take awhile to see improvement. If the chick has internal injuries, it may not make it. If it seems to be suffering, then putting it down may be best. But there is nothing wrong with taking time to see if there is improvement, as long as you have the time. Here are some examples of chicken slings especially posts 5, 11-13:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Remove from the sling if one is used for sleeping and periods of rest. Place food and water bowls within reach.

Thank you for the reply, I don’t see any exposed bone just that inflamed joint up top. I wrapped the bird in a sling and it seems to be doing better as far as wanting to stand.

Hi! I would offer sweetened water for shock, keep her in a warm and dim place. Then evaluate at how she's progressing. Offer her food she likes. Do you have any kind of vitamins
I’ve been using a mix . I’ve mixed fish mox with poultry cell with sugar and fish mox. I do a small syringe three times a day. At first the chicken rejected the fluid now it takes it. If I put a chick feed small pebble in her mouth she’ll eat it so I just started doing that last night, I’ll try the feed wet tonight

Thank you for the reply, I don’t see any exposed bone just that inflamed joint up top. I wrapped the bird in a sling and it seems to be doing better as far as wanting to stand.
Also fyi to those in a similar situation, wrapping the wing seemed to put it back further into shock temporarily. Was more alert again this morning

Back
Top Bottom