Chicken with a cold leg

May 12, 2019
Republic, MI
Hi! I posted the other day thinking my flock has mareks. I have sent out one of my hens body for necropsy to MSU VDL, so I’m waiting for results to confirm, but I have another hen who I brought inside a couple weeks ago because I thought she had a leg injury. Today I saw her sticking her leg straight back which made me immediately think mareks for her as well. BUT when I picked her up today her leg was ice cold, and the one she’s using is normal and warm. So, would mareks cause the leg to go cold like that? Or is this one truly an injury?? These chickens will be the death of me with all this stress. Lol

ALSO when I mess with the cold leg, and try to feel for an injury she starts panting like it hurts her? I feel like with mareks they can’t usually feel the leg they can’t use, right? I don’t know what to think.

ALSO when I mess with the cold leg, and try to feel for an injury she starts panting like it hurts her? I feel like with mareks they can’t usually feel the leg they can’t use, right? I don’t know what to think.

I'm not familiar enough with Mareks to help you there, but a cold leg sounds like its not getting proper blood circulation? Is there any swellings or color change or any differences between the two legs otherwise? Like if something could be broke? Unfortunately, Im not a whole lot of help at the moment.

I'm not familiar enough with Mareks to help you there, but a cold leg sounds like its not getting proper blood circulation? Is there any swellings or color change or any differences between the two legs otherwise? Like if something could be broke? Unfortunately, Im not a whole lot of help at the moment.
I can’t see any other differences 😕 if it is mareks my guess is a tumor is pressing against the blood supply somehow.

Back
Top Bottom