Chicken with a head twitch

Marissa1221

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Hello everyone,
I have one or more speckled sussex hens that shake their head after clucking. I have not seen any mites on them, they are eating and drinking normally and have given me no other indication of illness. Occasionally I hear what sounds like a sneeze but it’s not often or consistent. These are my first chickens. They are almost 9 months old and free range for the most part. Is this a normal behavior or should I be concerned about worms or something else?

Can you get a video? You can’t upload videos on here but you can upload them to YouTube or another video sharing service and post the link. I’m not quite sure what you mean by shake but I’m new to chickens as well.

Hello everyone,
I have one or more speckled sussex hens that shake their head after clucking. I have not seen any mites on them, they are eating and drinking normally and have given me no other indication of illness. Occasionally I hear what sounds like a sneeze but it’s not often or consistent. These are my first chickens. They are almost 9 months old and free range for the most part. Is this a normal behavior or should I be concerned about worms or something else?
Yes, video would be most helpful.
If the shaking of the head is constant, then there could be a problem.
Worms would be my last concern.
Chickens can sneeze and shake their head after gorging on feed or water because they can get some 'up their nose'.

I haven’t been able to capture a video yet. But I’ll describe it more like she’s shaking her head like a dog. I’m going to inspect for mites tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom