Chicken with a neurological disorder/depth perception issues?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My newer hen, Rat, has always been quite funny. She’s always waddled close to the ground like she’s nervous, I figured that’s because she was new so I gave her time but she has never stopped, she also can’t go up our current ramp.. I believe it’s too steep for her? She acts like it is. She’s been like this for a month now and shows no signs of illness, discomfort or injury. She eats, drinks, walks around with the flock, clucks.. no one picks on her either. I brought her in with her sister Candy (another Salmon Faverolle from the same breeders coop she came from) and Candy sleeps in the coop but Rat always stays in the barn. She did lose two toes to frostbite but my hen who is missing all but one toe gets up to the coop fine..

I don’t know if what I’m saying makes sense so to sum it up; her odd behavior is staying fairly close the ground(she is capable of standing up straight, but she prefers being closer to the ground) and the inability to go up the ramp due to it being too steep. She stills eats and drinks, but I have to put her in the coop myself every night. She is one of my favorite hens so no matter what is wrong with her I’ll be happy to care for her. I was just wondering what that sounds like to you guys? A past injury? Or could she have a neurological/depth perception issue or even just a vision impairment

My newer hen, Rat, has always been quite funny. She’s always waddled close to the ground like she’s nervous, I figured that’s because she was new so I gave her time but she has never stopped, she also can’t go up our current ramp.. I believe it’s too steep for her? She acts like it is. She’s been like this for a month now and shows no signs of illness, discomfort or injury. She eats, drinks, walks around with the flock, clucks.. no one picks on her either. I brought her in with her sister Candy (another Salmon Faverolle from the same breeders coop she came from) and Candy sleeps in the coop but Rat always stays in the barn. She did lose two toes to frostbite but my hen who is missing all but one toe gets up to the coop fine..

I don’t know if what I’m saying makes sense so to sum it up; her odd behavior is staying fairly close the ground(she is capable of standing up straight, but she prefers being closer to the ground) and the inability to go up the ramp due to it being too steep. She stills eats and drinks, but I have to put her in the coop myself every night. She is one of my favorite hens so no matter what is wrong with her I’ll be happy to care for her. I was just wondering what that sounds like to you guys? A past injury? Or could she have a neurological/depth perception issue or even just a vision impairment
When she walks, does it look like a funny sort of waddle? I had a cream legbar that began walking funny when she was about 6mos old. Turned out to be a neurological issue in the end :/

When she walks, does it look like a funny sort of waddle? I had a cream legbar that began walking funny when she was about 6mos old. Turned out to be a neurological issue in the end :/
I call it a waddle but it’s really more like she’s squatting? She walks with her legs bent so that she is closer to the ground… Rat is 3 years old, she retired from a breeding farm and the breeder was very happy to have her go to a home that wouldn’t eat her. She can walk normally, she does a funny little hop run when she sees something she wants to eat but she generally prefers to stay closer to the ground

I call it a waddle but it’s really more like she’s squatting? She walks with her legs bent so that she is closer to the ground… Rat is 3 years old, she retired from a breeding farm and the breeder was very happy to have her go to a home that wouldn’t eat her. She can walk normally, she does a funny little hop run when she sees something she wants to eat but she generally prefers to stay closer to the ground
It might be an issue with her joints since she's getting older

I'm so glad she got to go to home where she could happily live out the rest of her days.

It might be an issue with her joints since she's getting older

I'm so glad she got to go to home where she could happily live out the rest of her days.
I never knew that would look like this! There is tumeric in their food and water for my 6 year old hens arthritis, so that should help any soreness she’s having. But I guess I would have issues stepping far or standing up with stiff joints too! Thank you for the help ♥️

Back
Top Bottom