Chicken with Swollen Earlobe and tips of Comb turned Bluish

ImaginaryChicken

Hatching
Nov 10, 2020
Hello.
I am new to raising chickens and earlier today I noticed that my seven month old Leghorn hen has a red, swollen earlobe (see images). It has gotten a little worse since when I first noticed it earlier. Also, I noticed that the tips of her comb were bluish purple less than an hour ago but now they’re back to normal (???). I checked her inner ear for puss and didn’t see any so I’m not sure if she has an ear infection. Also I have her quarantined from the rest of the flock just in case it’s something bad. Could some of you more experienced chicken owners provide some insight?

DAEBA069-1197-470F-AD2E-A2301DD33FFE.jpeg
Thank you!
057587C3-1A21-4A58-8460-092A25FE7C0D.jpeg

When you looked in the ear it was all nice and clean inside?

Not sure what would cause the swelling, look inside her beak just to make sure there's no lesions or yellow pasty material.

The swelling may be an early symptom of respiratory infection. I would keep watch on her for a couple of days and see if it resolves on it's own.

When you looked in the ear it was all nice and clean inside?

Not sure what would cause the swelling, look inside her beak just to make sure there's no lesions or yellow pasty material.

The swelling may be an early symptom of respiratory infection. I would keep watch on her for a couple of days and see if it resolves on it's own.

Hi! Thank you so much for your reply! Yeah her ear looked clean inside and it still does. I just checked inside her beak and it looked fine too. She was squirming and fussing a lot (as to be expected), but from the glimpses I got I just saw what looked like a normal roof of a mouth, no yellow or pasty stuffand I don’t think there were lesions.

Also the lobe doesn’t seem any worse and hopefully it doesn’t get worse. Her comb also looks normal as of now but did become bluish again earlier this morning. I started giving her some probiotics/electrolytes today in case she needs it (I’m giving her flock a little too in case they might need some).

I’ll do like you say and monitor her for a few days and if it doesn’t get better then I’ll probably take her to the vet. If it does turn out to be a respitory infection hopefully they’ll know how to treat it.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom