Chicken with very short wings.

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
I have a 6 or 7 month old rooster that has very short wings. I noticed this when he was about a month old his wings were very small compared to the rest of his growing body. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this in their own birds or what caused it. Alittle history about him, he was hatched here, he is mixed breed, and his egg was about 2 weeks old when it was out under mama. The broody I had at the time broke an egg about 2 days in. I didn't have a fresh replacement at the time so I got one from the refrigerator I intended to eat. I wasn't sure if it was fertile but I took the chance. Sure enough it was and he hatched. He's perfectly fine he eats, tried to crow, forages, everything is normal except the appearance or his wings. He can't jump high since he can't fly and a friend of mine nicknamed him t Rex due to his short wings and larger body. Any thoughts would be helpful. Oh and I did let his egg get to room temperature before I placed it under my broody.

I have a 6 or 7 month old rooster that has very short wings. I noticed this when he was about a month old his wings were very small compared to the rest of his growing body. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this in their own birds or what caused it. Alittle history about him, he was hatched here, he is mixed breed, and his egg was about 2 weeks old when it was out under mama. The broody I had at the time broke an egg about 2 days in. I didn't have a fresh replacement at the time so I got one from the refrigerator I intended to eat. I wasn't sure if it was fertile but I took the chance. Sure enough it was and he hatched. He's perfectly fine he eats, tried to crow, forages, everything is normal except the appearance or his wings. He can't jump high since he can't fly and a friend of mine nicknamed him t Rex due to his short wings and larger body. Any thoughts would be helpful. Oh and I did let his egg get to room temperature before I placed it under my broody.
I got a batch of banties from the feed store about 2 weeks ago. One of my chicks is as described above and I'm curious as to why his/her wings are that way too. The other 14 chick's wings are normal and everyone is eating and drinking well. The only other difference from this particular batch then from ones I've raised from eggs is that 3 of them still have pasty butt. I've given probiotics, vitamins and medicated chicken starter since day one. Any advice to help cure pasty butt or why the shorter than average wings? All I can think of is possible inbreeding???

Back
Top Bottom