Chicken with water belly?

Having a messy rear with droppings built up can also be a sign of a reproductive problem, what is going on inside can make it hard for them to push droppings out. The green could be from not eating (bile).

Most of the time when hens present with belly bloat or fluid, it means their days are numbered. The vast majority of conditions that lead to it don't have much in the way of good treatment. And often the exact cause is not known until a necropsy is done. Sometimes antibiotics will help for a time, but many times they do not. If it is fluid then some will drain the abdomen and the bird will be more comfortable for a while. It will usually recur since the underlying condition will still be there. Draining is not always successful and it does come with some risk of shock which can be fatal. Not trying to be scary, many drain successfully, but it is a risk of some level. There are video's on youtube showing draining water belly in hens. Sometimes bloat is not fluid, but rather infectious material, and it will not drain. If it is fluid, called ascites, then it's an indication that the liver is not doing well and it's leaking fluid into the abdomen.
I generally don't drain my birds that get this way. I leave them with the flock until they are obviously feeling unwell, go off food and water, isolate themselves, or get attacked by flock mates. At that point I euthanize rather than let them suffer. I do my own informal necropsies on them, it's usually infection or cancer with mine.

Back
Top Bottom