Chickens brooding but no eggs

Cockledoo

Chirping
Jun 11, 2020
Two of my chickens have stopped laying eggs but continue to sit on empty nest in a brooding posture for almost two weeks, what could be the problem? Thank you

They've gone broody. That is normal, brooding behavior. They collect a clutch of eggs (which you are taking) then stop laying and set on the eggs.

Typical brood lasts 3 to 5 weeks. Some refuse to stop unless they either hatch a chick or you break them of the brood (which can be difficult in some breeds like Silkies).

You have several choices:

1. Let nature takes it course. They will stop brooding eventually and go back to laying.

2. Give them fertile eggs and build your flock with new chicks.

3. Purchase feed store chicks and let them foster them.

4. Attempt to break the brood by either repeatedly taking them off the nest, placing them far away in the yard, even blocking the nest. You could also put them in a broody buster cage which allows airflow to their belly to cool off their hormones, literally.

As for me...I let it take its natural course unless the bird is beginning to suffer from interminable brooding....but usually I place fertile eggs and use a good brood. I've blocked hens out of the nest, taking them out repeatedly giving treats. I personally don't prefer the broody buster cage.

LofMc

Thank you. I will try and block them from entering the coop house till evening when I lock them in bed. I let them have one brood once but I got a rooster out of the clutch and I already have two roosters that I have to keep separated, do not want the chance of getting another. I feel so much better now knowing what is happening instead of worrying. Thanks again for your kindness in helping me understand the process.

Back
Top Bottom