Chickens butt is red

4 bundles of Joy

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2021
GA
I think two of the girls have mites/lice. They scratch a lot especially at night. Barred Rock is almost done molting. Her comb is pink and has scaly legs. She been to herself a lot since she gets bullied by the Silver Lace. The two have red butts. I used DE. That doesn't work for mites. Or, either I am not applying enough. Silver Lace opens her mouth wide occasionally. I used DE in the coop, around the coop and on the girls feathers and butt area. They still scratch. What is the best way to heal their little bottoms and get rid of those mites/lice for good. Silver Lace has not layed since August. They eat, run and enjoy the yard.
Thanks for suggestions

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post some photos of the hens and thier legs?
Do you see bugs crawling on them? Go out with a flashlight at night and look through their feathers.
DE is not an effective treatment for mites/lice. You can find Permethrin based poultry dust or spray at TSC. Treat the birds and their housing in 7 day intervals.
A bare bottom may be from feather picking.

Once you post some photos so we can see what you see, we may be able to give better suggestions.

Pictures? Unfortunately bugs are nearly impossible to get gone and stay gone, but we use permithren (sp?) Dust here on the birds and their nesting to stay manageable
I will try to take photos. they are frisky and difficult for me to take picture and keep them still. Thanks

Welcome To BYC

Can you please post some photos of the hens and thier legs?
Do you see bugs crawling on them? Go out with a flashlight at night and look through their feathers.
DE is not an effective treatment for mites/lice. You can find Permethrin based poultry dust or spray at TSC. Treat the birds and their housing in 7 day intervals.
A bare bottom may be from feather picking.

Once you post some photos so we can see what you see, we may be able to give better suggestions.
I will try to take photos. they are frisky and difficult for me to take picture and keep them still. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom