Chickens Coughing but NO other symptoms!

Apr 26, 2023
Hi -

I have two hens that started to cough/sneeze 4 weeks ago. I watched them for a few days, they showed no other symptoms. A third one started to sneeze a bit as well. Since they kept coughing, a vet gave me amoxyclav to put in their water. The third one who was sneezing a tiny bit was fine the next day. But the two original girls that started coughing are still coughing even after the round of treatment. They are laying, running around, eating, drinking - seriously no other symptoms and you would think they are perfectly healthy besides the coughing. I have 5 hens in total and the other two have not coughed at all in the four weeks (knock on wood).

Any idea what is wrong? How can I stop this?

Without testing it would be hard to know what they have.

Could be viral like Infectious Bronchitis since they didn't respond to medication. IB would have to run it's course over a period of 6-8 weeks or so.

If it's Mycoplasma you're dealing with then Amoxicillin would not be that effective since MG has no cell wall. Tetracycline, Tylosin/Tylan and Tiamulin are commonly used to treat symptoms of MG.

Environment, poor ventilation, ammonia, etc. can also affect respiratory systems.

Here's some reading about diseases. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

Back
Top Bottom