Chickens Eating Wild Birds?!

We currently have two chicken coops on our lot. One they sleep in (since it is the right size for all of them) and since we have the other (that was too small), they like it as a nesting box so we have left it there. We put their food in the small run so we can lock it up at night. Birds are going in the run to steal chicken feed from what I have seen. They trapped a wild baby bunny in their run and were trying to kill it when my husband was out there. Thinking the dove may have gotten cornered or a neighborhood cat came in and got it...

Yes, I am hoping the dove wasn't ill.

Thank you everyone for sharing =)

We currently have two chicken coops on our lot. One they sleep in (since it is the right size for all of them) and since we have the other (that was too small), they like it as a nesting box so we have left it there. We put their food in the small run so we can lock it up at night. Birds are going in the run to steal chicken feed from what I have seen. They trapped a wild baby bunny in their run and were trying to kill it when my husband was out there. Thinking the dove may have gotten cornered or a neighborhood cat came in and got it...

Yes, I am hoping the dove wasn't ill.

Thank you everyone for sharing =)
Ugh OH, kinda making me loose my taste for chicken. Does eating strange things like lizards and toads etc. make the chicken taste icky??

It probably wouldn't have made any difference if the dove was sick or not. Chickens are scavengers.

Mine will consume Indigo Buntings and similar sized warblers based on direct observation. I have also seen them go after fledgling pigeons.

Last year they partook in deer carcasses brought home for dogs. They consumed a lot of meat and fat once dogs opened up carcass. The chickens excluded crows that wanted to do same.

Back
Top Bottom