Chickens in Missouri

Jersey Giants & Orpingtons are some of the friendliest breeds that have straight combs to help with heat. Not sure how hot they can deal with, hopefully someone will chime in!
I have 2 buff Orpingtons and a Welsummer. Last summer (in the 90s) I watched as my fluffiest (OK fat) BO “fainted” and rolled down hill. I got her up and put her in the shade with a fan, but I would say Orpingtons are not particularly heat tolerant. All 3 girls did OK in the cold snap we just had though. I live in Atlanta.

Zone 5B here in the Missouri Ozark Highlands. Have had well over 20 different breeds of chickens, as well as ducks, geese, turkeys, quail and guinea fowl. Haven't lost any to heat or cold...and we can get -15°F winters (-30+°F with wind chill) and triple digit summers. I don't run heat lamps in winter, nor fans in the summer, however my barn does have insulation under the steel roof, which helps keep it cooler in summer and warmer in winter. My oldest hen is going on 13 years old.

Much bigger danger to chickens in Missouri are more likely to be wildlife (especially raccoons) and your neighbours' dogs, rather than the weather.

Back
Top Bottom