chickens keep wasting food

I now feed my chickens a fermented crumble feed, i pack it down a bit so they have to kind of chip at it to eat it. Because it’s fermented, the food doesn’t go off. I’m using a simple ceramic loaf pan wedged between two rocks so they can’t tip it over.

back when I fed them dry feed, they would fling it everywhere. In those instances I would wait for them to clean up the mess before I gave them a refill. They will never refuse to clean up food when they’re hungry!

You can place a large tray under your feeder to catch the wasted feed. I use an old planter tray that cracked. I know my chickens don’t like the tiny pieces and powder which always get left behind so I make suet treats with that. Nothing gets wasted.

i’m not too sure how this site works, but here we go. my girls recently started wasting so much food on the floor (i use a homemade feeder, just a container with holes in it that i made) i only have three chickens currently but they waste enough food to probably feed another three haha. does anyone have any advice for feeding techniques or such? i’m open to trying anything that i could make using things that i have already at home.
Put a plastic mat or something like it under the feeder. Make sure it covers a good enough surrounding area to catch the food. Then you move the feeder pick up the mat and throw back into the feeder all the food they dropped.

i’m not too sure how this site works, but here we go. my girls recently started wasting so much food on the floor (i use a homemade feeder, just a container with holes in it that i made) i only have three chickens currently but they waste enough food to probably feed another three haha. does anyone have any advice for feeding techniques or such? i’m open to trying anything that i could make using things that i have already at home.
Check this new invention from Wisconsin. Everestagproducts.com we just got the patent a few weeks ago. It’s much less trouble than a DIY fix and no new feeders are needed. 🥳

Back
Top Bottom