Chickens not laying yet??

FinaticHen

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 11, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Hi all, I have two 23 week old Plymouth Rocks. They haven't started laying yet and I'm a bit worried. Should they be laying by now? It's winter where I live and I understand that in winter the chickens laying habits decrease as they need to store more nutrients for themselves but I have been expecting eggs. There is a slight possibility they don't know the laying box is there?? They have been in it and when they where younger slept in it but my Plymouth rocks are not the smartest chickens. :) My 5 & 1 year old leghorns and 17 week old Wyndottes are smarted and understand how to get in and out of the coop etc. Also the Plymouth Rocks grew dramatically fast, the Wyndottes are still quite small where as when the Plymouth Rocks where 17 weeks they were huge. Does this have something to do with the laying?? Any ideas??

FinaticHen

Chickens usually don't start laying until 5-8 months old. Some chickens start sooner and some start later. I think it just depends on the chicken.. And they might just be late starters..? So if they are 23 weeks old, they are almost 6 months? So, it is pretty normal if they haven't started yet.

It shouldn't be because of the nesting boxes. If they needed to lay, they would probably even do it on the ground. Mine laid on the ground when they started. They should find the boxes. Hope this helps!!

I imagine it's just the season. If they don't seem sick I wouldn't worry. But you might keep an eye out for hidden nests, if they have places available, especially if they tend to keep to themselves. They are too young to worry yet, anyway.

Last edited:
Hi there! Just thought I'd say that my plymouth rocks are now 33 weeks and still not laying! They are over 8 months old! Should they start soon? I hope so! We are nearing the end of winter and going into spring, should I expect eggs soon? My chickens are fairly clever with the exception of my plymouth rocks :) My babies arent exactly the sharpest tool in the shed but I love them. I'm afraid they wont know where the laying box is, but they should considering the other chickens who lay and the fact that they both roost on the perch right next to it! Any help?

Back
Top Bottom