Chickens not stopped by electric netting

Ridgerunner, I was looking at the photo posted. The netting does not look like the poultry netting I have used. If it is as short as it looks, it is too short. If it as short as it looks, or much taller, a chick will be able to walk through for quite some time. Poultry netting has smaller squares/rectangles nearer the ground. I have used poultry netting and it is 48" high.

Ridgerunner, I was looking at the photo posted. The netting does not look like the poultry netting I have used. If it is as short as it looks, it is too short. If it as short as it looks, or much taller, a chick will be able to walk through for quite some time. Poultry netting has smaller squares/rectangles nearer the ground. I have used poultry netting and it is 48" high.

You may be right. That doesn't look like the Premier 1 poultry netting. When I expanded the photo it seems to be something with a different sized mesh that must be made for a different kind of animal.

How old are they?

After a while they get too big to go through the netting.

*Most* fly-overs can be stopped by clipping the flight feathers on one wing.
They are full grown and laying. I think they figured out if they put their head directly through the center it won't touch their comb and get zapped.

I'm thinking either tape with more juice so it's something they are curious of and get zapped and don't like it. Maybe. Or I redo the netting to keep them out of the melon patch and declare a truce.

Yep. You guys are right. I bought the wrong fence. It worked fine for the older ones, but I think because they went from coop/run to coop/run/fenced run they were happy to have the room. The new ones came from a place where the run was a solid 1/4 acre.

The vertical stringers are spaced 6 3/4". The horizontal ones are about 3 1/2 at the bottom. So, $150 down the drain. Maybe I can use it around the garden later for possums and such.

Or....just tolerate them having the freedom like so many "free range" chickens do.

Back
Top Bottom