Chickens plucking each others feathers, what do I do?!

Hi there! I have 12 hens, 6 barred rocks and 6 wyandottes that are about 5 months old. They have a big coop, big outdoor run, toys, treats, flock block, always full food and water and always something to do from what I can tell. A few weeks ago I noticed one of my hens combs got pecked and ripped a good amount, that has healed very nicely now I managed to save it. But that same night I noticed many of the hens missing feathers on their backs just before their tails. I got some blue ointment and spray, it seemed as it was working so I did it for a few days and kept an eye on them. I recently got the flock block and some new things for them as I thought they were just bored. I have witnessed a few times hens getting plucked by another, some were bloody, some not. I spray the bad ones about every other day, but it’s still not stopping and they are continuing to pluck. I’m at a loss, these are my first chickens and I don’t know what to do. Do I need to apply things or treatment more frequently? I have no way to separate any of them as I don’t have a place to put them. I need some help and guidance, please! Thank you
We went through something similar here. We entered January in South Dakota with a lot of bare chicken butts. Not good. We had 3 gold laced Wyandotte and 3 silver laced Wyandotte hens. The gold laced Wyandotte chickens were the mean girls. My wife found a good home for them on a local Facebook chicken group and also found some 5-month-old Delaware chickens (these are large but very chill birds) to replace the gold laced Wyandotte's on the same Facebook group. I am so happy as my wife was near tears on more than one occasion. This has been a learning year for us. In the future, we will place a higher priority on breed temperament when choosing new chickens.

Back
Top Bottom