Chickens, roosters, and the mystery of no eggs.

Ann Perkhens

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
Kalkaska, Michigan
So we've had a huge decrease in egg laying since the beginning of August...down to no eggs at all this week. We have nine hens and a rooster. While I'm aware that there's often a decrease in egg laying in the fall, I just wanted to verify that everyone is healthy and I'm not overlooking any other possibly reasons for empty nesting boxes.

We've been wondering if it could have to do with a switch from free-ranging, in combination with our rooster feeling a bit more feisty with his girls now that they no longer have the rule of the land. Otherwise, their feed has been consistently the same, they were all a year in July, and started laying in January of last year. It's a mixed flock, and we were getting about 6-9 eggs a day before this major decrease. Last week, we were getting about 2-3 eggs a day.

Thanks in advance.

It is normal for hens to quit laying this time of year, and they should molt in the next couple of months. Most will resume laying in early spring.

The lay cycle is dictated by light. We are under decreasing daylight which means decreasing hormones, and an end to the laying cycle for most hens.

When it changes over to increasing daylight after the winter solstice hormones will begin to surge and hens will come back in production if conditions, and their condition is right.

Okay. They did stop laying consistently mid-August. I should still suspect the fall weather and the decrease in daylight?
Yes. Most of mine have stopped laying for the season, and some are currently molting. Most won't resume laying until sometime between January and March.

I only got 5 eggs today with 12 layers and a duck. Mine are molting and the daylight/weather change here in Mi. is surely a contributor.
You could add light if you need to increase egg production. I don't need the eggs so I don't, I just let their natural cycle run its course.

Mine free range constantly and they've slowed way down, too. It's the time of year plus I'm pretty sure many of the younger birds are starting their first molt.

I went from 10-15 eggs a day in mid-summer down to 5-7. The guineas, except for the three juveniles I hatched in the spring whose hormones have kicked in, aren't laying at all. Oddly, the one consistent producer right now is my ancient speckled sussex hen, who's got to be at least 8 years old at this point.

Mine free range constantly and they've slowed way down, too. It's the time of year plus I'm pretty sure many of the younger birds are starting their first molt.

I went from 10-15 eggs a day in mid-summer down to 5-7. The guineas, except for the three juveniles I hatched in the spring whose hormones have kicked in, aren't laying at all. Oddly, the one consistent producer right now is my ancient speckled sussex hen, who's got to be at least 8 years old at this point.
Hi there! I am in Fallon Nevada (hour outside of Reno) and I was wondering what you are feeding your hens? Mine don’t free range because of too many predator but I feed them well, lots of veggies and some fruits but I have 12 hens and I am getting maybe 2 or 3 eggs a day! 😳😩 This is their first real molt and the weather is cold here intermittentl. I may have to buy eggs for the first time in a long time. Any hints???

Hi there! I am in Fallon Nevada (hour outside of Reno) and I was wondering what you are feeding your hens? Mine don’t free range because of too many predator but I feed them well, lots of veggies and some fruits but I have 12 hens and I am getting maybe 2 or 3 eggs a day! 😳😩 This is their first real molt and the weather is cold here intermittentl. I may have to buy eggs for the first time in a long time. Any hints???
This is normal, daylight starts increasing in a few weeks, just hang in there.
Nothing fed, except hormones will affect that.
Make sure you don't over do the treats so they get their proper feed.

With
There's not a lot you can really do that I'm aware of. My understanding is it has more to do with hours of daylight than anything else.

Most of my flock is a little over a year old, and even then the guineas shut down for the winter about late September. Most of the youngsters have finished their molt, and the olive eggers and one of the legbars are laying somewhat regularly but I've gone from 12 to 15 eggs a day to 1 to 4.

The two old hens I've got (one's about 7 and the other is over 10 years old), usually stop when they start their molt in October to November and won't start up until late Februrary to early March. The rest of the flock will likely start around the same time, with the guineas about 3-4 weeks later than the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom