Chickens suddenly refuse to return to coop.

OreoH

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
Hi everyone! My six pullets have been living outside for around 2 months. They have always known when to go back to the coop, and they did it every night up until about a week ago. They like to jump around on the roof of the coop during they day, and then one night the cockerel got stuck between the wire and the door and the door was stuck shut. (I fixed that immediately). The rest of them roosted on the roof. After, I got the cockerel out and sent them all to bed. From that day on they all roost on the roof. The roof is not that wide, and sometimes not all of them fit, and then one of them has to go back to the coop alone. Three different chickens have been booted back to the coop so far. I've been having to carry each of them down and usher them into the coop. I suspect it may be because I've been waking up a little later than I used to, and maybe they thought that there would be less waiting time if they slept outside. I am now waking up 2 hours earlier than before. Is there anyway I can reverse this behavior? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom