Chickens would rather lay eggs anywhere other than the 2nd nesting box

whitenack

Chirping
May 5, 2020
central KY
Hey all. I have 11 hens and 2 identical, adjacent nesting boxes. Only one box gets used. I realize this is not unusual, but I have found that the hens so prefer the particular nesting box that they would rather lay their eggs anywhere else than that 2nd box. I guess they get tired of waiting for the preferred box to become available so they just drop the egg wherever they can?

One theory I've heard on nest box usage is that they want a quiet and private place to lay. Putting up curtains in front of nest box 2 might might make it a bit more desirable as they can hide behind the curtains.

If possible, I would suggest doubling your available nestboxes. I usually aim for 1 box per 3-4 hens with a minimum of 3. And I agree that it sounds silly to add more when they already don't use the second one, but chickens seem to like options.

Last edited:
Hey all. I have 11 hens and 2 identical, adjacent nesting boxes. Only one box gets used. I realize this is not unusual, but I have found that the hens so prefer the particular nesting box that they would rather lay their eggs anywhere else than that 2nd box. I guess they get tired of waiting for the preferred box to become available so they just drop the egg wherever they can?
Are the nests identical and next to each other?
I'd have 3 nests for 11 birds, and put a fake egg in each nest.

Are the nests identical and next to each other?
I'd have 3 nests for 11 birds, and put a fake egg in each nest.
Thanks. They are identical, but they are also situated in such a way that the hens enter on the short side of the row of nesting boxes, so one box is in front and one box is in the back. The one in the back is the one that gets used. I am designing a new coop so hopefully this is a temporary problem and I can fix this situation in the next version.

I have 5 birds but last year my laying hens only used one box even though there is 2. They would lay anywhere but the second box.

Back
Top Bottom