Chicks got wet

Julesstarohio56

Songster
Apr 4, 2019
North Central Ohio
Hello. We had a wonderful hatch of 31 chickens yesterday, and put them in a tote overnight with a heat lamp and somehow the water leaked all the way out and the chickens are soaking wet. I put them back in the incubator with a few more that had hatched overnight. They’re covered in water and feed because there was food on the floor of the tote. Is there anything I can do to help them?

You can try to carefully get the food off with a towel and then blow dry them. Try to keep the blow dryer far away from them so you don’t burn Them. You can also just dry them off with a towel so that they are no soggy and if it’s not to cold let them air dry.

Sorry I didn’t see these! They were under the sort by reaction score? Thanks so much, though. I did leave them in the incubator about 3 hours on a tad warmer. They are back in the brooder with electrolytes and food/mash. All are alive, and that’s a big relief. They were our hens’ eggs, so we are being extra watchful, especially since we’ve never incubated before. Disaster averted, hopefully. Haha God bless you early risers!

Hello. We had a wonderful hatch of 31 chickens yesterday, and put them in a tote overnight with a heat lamp and somehow the water leaked all the way out and the chickens are soaking wet. I put them back in the incubator with a few more that had hatched overnight. They’re covered in water and feed because there was food on the floor of the tote. Is there anything I can do to help them?
Thank you so much for asking this, I just woke up to distressed cheeps and found the same problem. I have no idea how it happened. It looks like they all jumped in a swimming pool. Thank you all who helped answer

What?! Isn’t that freaky? I was so glad when all of them dried out. Only one died a few days later and I think it was just under a pile of other chicks. All are doing really well now and some have left for other homes. How are your chicks doing now?

Back
Top Bottom