Chicks seem to be picky

dirtsailor66

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2021
Hello all, I have 10 7 week old silver laced Wyandottes who just moved out into the coop and who I am also attempting to switch to oat-sod as a main feed source with pellets as a supplementary for proper nutrition. I have a whole sod growing set up in my basement and can reliably crank out fresh green beds of grass, but they don't seem to want it. I try to mash it/cut it up and mix it in with their pellets but they seem to just pick it aside to go for the pellets instead. Last week when there was a break in the freezing temperatures they were foraging great, picking out little bits of grass in their run, but now they don't seem to care for anything green or the seeds attached to them.

I would really like to switch them over to the sod for various reasons, but I don't want to be very harsh about it. I've attempted leaving out the sod all day in various forms to entice them, but they would very stubbornly not pick at it and I would be forced to give them a full tray of feed as I'm worried they might succumb to the cold overnight without having eaten.

Thanks all.

They may not like it. You might have to reintroduce it in a few months. They are so use to the processed food.

Back
Top Bottom