Chicks sleeping in nesting boxes

cassandrapettersson

Emu obsessed
Sep 8, 2022
Sweden
Okay so, I have chicks that sleep in the nesting boxes, which also means they shit in it... The chicks are no longer with their mother but sometimes the mother roosts on the roost nearest to the box. I've seen one rost with their mother but thats it

I think they just feel secure there. One of my adult hens has suddenly started sleeping in a nest box after years of not doing so. There's been a little change in the pecking order, and I think she just feels safer in the box.

I agree with @Sussex 19; you might try positioning them on the roost to encourage them to sleep there.

I am going through the same thing, 8 week old chicks who's mom weaned them this week. 3 in nesting boxes when I lock them up and 2 in the roosting bar. I have been lifting them up onto the bar by the other 3, they sqwack but settle in. Hopefully they figure it out soon on their own.

You could also try blocking off the nesting boxes before roosting time.

Going to roost can be a bit of a scrum. Once chicks are abandoned by mum they are at the bottom of the pecking order and this makes it more likely that the adults will throw the chicks off the roost bars.
With out mum to gather under for heat and security chicks tend to sleep in a compact group. Nest boxes are ideal for this.
You can place the chicks on a roost bar and hope they get the idea, but do it once all the adults are settled. Pick a spot where the least aggressive hens roost to place the chicks.

Going to roost can be a bit of a scrum. Once chicks are abandoned by mum they are at the bottom of the pecking order and this makes it more likely that the adults will throw the chicks off the roost bars.
With out mum to gather under for heat and security chicks tend to sleep in a compact group. Nest boxes are ideal for this.
You can place the chicks on a roost bar and hope they get the idea, but do it once all the adults are settled. Pick a spot where the least aggressive hens roost to place the chicks.
great response. I've done 4 sets of chicks raised by a mama hen now. She sets, hatches and raises them all in the coop/run with the rest of the flock. It's great, easy and fun to watch (bit of a lower hatch and survival rate than incubating). The transition period of mama weaning the chicks and them finding their place in the flock, has always led me to nest sleepers/poopers. Which is terribly annoying. The cockerels seem to be the worst offenders. You're right, the roost without mom is intimidating, and they all feel the most secure huddled together in a nesting box.
I've had to train them by going out every night and placing them on a roost. I have added a 'chick roost', which is smaller and lower than the others and kind of off where the big chickens can't peck them. It takes a long time and is annoying as hell. I don't even know if 'training' them makes a difference, or if they just mature over time to where they're more comfortable roosting with the rest of the flock.
Just when I get everyone roosting on the bars, mama hen and I both get baby fever and we do it all over again!

great response. I've done 4 sets of chicks raised by a mama hen now. She sets, hatches and raises them all in the coop/run with the rest of the flock. It's great, easy and fun to watch (bit of a lower hatch and survival rate than incubating). The transition period of mama weaning the chicks and them finding their place in the flock, has always led me to nest sleepers/poopers. Which is terribly annoying. The cockerels seem to be the worst offenders. You're right, the roost without mom is intimidating, and they all feel the most secure huddled together in a nesting box.
I've had to train them by going out every night and placing them on a roost. I have added a 'chick roost', which is smaller and lower than the others and kind of off where the big chickens can't peck them. It takes a long time and is annoying as hell. I don't even know if 'training' them makes a difference, or if they just mature over time to where they're more comfortable roosting with the rest of the flock.
Just when I get everyone roosting on the bars, mama hen and I both get baby fever and we do it all over again!
My chicks are only going on 2 weeks and the mother hen still keeps them warm. I had blocked of the nesting box for them. Lately she wants to bring them down to peck around in the larger coop if I unblock it. I only have one other adult hen and I only let them come down when she is out in the yard. They are growing fast and have wing feathers but isn't two weeks a little young? Won't the other adult hen hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom