Chocolate colored rabbits getting sun-bleached

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
I had a pair of chocolate colored Holland Lops, and they were both very sun-bleached. I ended up selling them bc they were not producing babies. I just purchased a Broken Chocolate Otter mini rex doe (8 weeks old), and I am wondering if she will get sun-bleached too?? The 2 hollands I originally had were living in outdoor hutches, but both hutches were almost completely shaded. every other day, i let them out into grassy play pens for them to exercise in for the day, but the pens were mostly shaded as well. I am just wondering if there is any way to prevent this, bc the mini rex I got is a really nice show rabbit, and I don't want her to get docked off points for fur color. any suggestions would be welcome.
IMG_0464.JPG

Where are you located?
I've raised rabbits and do recall the darker ones getting "sun bleached" but only due to us letting them out for "some sun". The UV rays can get pretty intense in some areas, even if in the shaded areas if the over reach is not at least 5' I'm thinking the UV still affecting the coloring. Kept my rabbits in wire cages suspend off the ground under roofing with an over hang.

I live in the midwest. My rabbits live in hutches that are mostly wood, less wire. In addition, there are several large trees over all the hutches. Thanks for your help! Maybe I will only let her play in heavily shaded areas.

Back
Top Bottom