Choosing a rooster

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Even though I'm still waiting to hear from my parents about when they're going to buy the house on 2 acres, I'm planning ahead with rooster plans.
I've found a few breeders with breeder stock for the breeds I'm mostly going to choose from. A few have some ranging from 1 year to 2 years of age so I'll have great options for human-friendly roosters.
Once I choose a breed, I'll be getting more hens of that breed so that I'll be able to separate and breed them in a pen. OR separate the hens to collect their eggs only for hatching.

I have made a list of the breeds that I'll be choosing from:
-Polish
-Orpington
-Belgian d'Uccle
-Cochin
Please do not suggest a breed because I'm going with what we've had the most luck with.

Which breed should I go with??

I'd have to ask what your long term plan for raising chickens is. Are you going to sell chicks? If you plan on selling chicks are there enough potential customers to make specializing in a breed feasible? Around here you can only get about $3 a chick and pure breeds don't really sell for more than barnyard mixes.

Are you planning on selling eggs for people to eat? If you are then some breeds will be better than others. Cochins tend to go broody. When they are broody they don't lay so if you want eggs to sell those will not work well. I have only had one Orpington and she also went broody a couple times a year.

My suggestion is to pick the breed that most interests you. It could be based on many criteria. Personality, egg laying, looks, and just what you find most appealing are things to consider. No one but you can figure out what is most important to you.

I'd have to ask what your long term plan for raising chickens is. Are you going to sell chicks? If you plan on selling chicks are there enough potential customers to make specializing in a breed feasible? Around here you can only get about $3 a chick and pure breeds don't really sell for more than barnyard mixes.

Are you planning on selling eggs for people to eat? If you are then some breeds will be better than others. Cochins tend to go broody. When they are broody they don't lay so if you want eggs to sell those will not work well. I have only had one Orpington and she also went broody a couple times a year.

My suggestion is to pick the breed that most interests you. It could be based on many criteria. Personality, egg laying, looks, and just what you find most appealing are things to consider. No one but you can figure out what is most important to you.
I'm not new to chickens and we only raise them for eggs right now for us to eat. I plan on breeding our chickens once we move since we'll be able to own a rooster. That's all I'm going to say and answer.

Back
Top Bottom