Chronic sick bird, brittle eggs, now dying. Possible causes?

Nov 4, 2021
Thanks in advance for reading and kind responses. I know nothing can be diagnosed online, I’m mostly just looking for possible causes or conditions I can look into for better care of future hens.

We have a small backyard flock (12 ladies, no roo).

Juniper hen has always had egg laying issues, truly since she first started laying as a young gal. Usually larger and misshaped- oblong like they had been inside for too long. Often extremely brittle, so much so that most of her eggs would break in the nesting box. (I’m confident they were accidentally broken as they were not consumed, other eggs in box were not broken, and when we did get an intact egg from her as I said they were extremely brittle and broke easily.)

For the last year, she has seemingly not laid an egg. Despite her egg issues, she was active, friendly, ate and drank fine up until this week.

For the last 2 days I’ve noticed her standing alone, head down. She will sometimes scratch/peck the ground but mostly standing alone. I’ve watched her eat and drink this week from our feeders but this morning I found her laying down, legs splayed out. She made it from coop to run so she’s able to walk a bit but is clearly sick. (I have her separated with food and water now.)

She is approx 3.5 years old and an EE. I’ve checked her vent for blockage or prolapse, nothing. She has no discharge or cough/respiratory concerns.

My thoughts have been on nutritional issues- but other hens have always been okay. We’ve also changed feeds and water supply through out her life with no change. I’ve thought about viral disease but she’s always been a bit sickly, and again, no other hens are showing illness at this time.

Just curious if this sounds like anything familiar to folks in here? Mostly so I understand whats happening and how to treat or prevent it in future. And of course, if there is anything I can do to help Juniper now, I’m happy to have insight…?

How does her crop feel—empty, full, firm, doughy, or puffy? Check it first thing in the morning before eating or drinking, to see if it has emptied. Is her lower belly full or enlarged, and if so, is it firm or tight? Has she lost weight when you pick her up or feel of her breast area? She might be laying internally, but most problems may not be known until after death when a necropsy can be done. Do you have a rooster who might have hurt her mating? If you have any pictures of her droppings that might help to see.

How does her crop feel—empty, full, firm, doughy, or puffy? Check it first thing in the morning before eating or drinking, to see if it has emptied. Is her lower belly full or enlarged, and if so, is it firm or tight? Has she lost weight when you pick her up or feel of her breast area? She might be laying internally, but most problems may not be known until after death when a necropsy can be done. Do you have a rooster who might have hurt her mating? If you have any pictures of her droppings that might help to see.
Thanks for reply and asking details.

No rooster and no obvious injury.

Crop feels empty but otherwise normal. Checked this afternoon, I’m sure she hasn’t eaten today.

Her belly is quite distended and worsening quickly it seems. (She had no visible issue yesterday and was walking, albeit slow. Now it’s extremely distended, worse than this morning.) Feels full, not hard like a mass, but definitely full and on the firmer side.

Edited to add info regard poop: some watery poop in run (can’t confirm it’s from her though) Nothing obviously unusual (I was looking for anything bright yellow, green, or foamy.)

I should mention they free roam during the day on 2 acres so I may be missing her droppings.

Seems like given her history of wonky eggs maybe some underlying reproductive issue and now internal laying? Or EYP? Husband will likely euthanize tonight given how quickly she seems to be deteriorating.

I’d like to know if we could have prevented this or treated it earlier. I feel so terrible- we don’t have option of surgery or sterilization l if the issue is genetic and reproductive so euthanasia seems most humane at this point but it’s hard to make such a final decision.

She’s one of our first gals :(

Thanks for reply and asking details.

No rooster and no obvious injury.

Crop feels empty but otherwise normal. Checked this afternoon, I’m sure she hasn’t eaten today.

Her belly is quite distended and worsening quickly it seems. (She had no visible issue yesterday and was walking, albeit slow. Now it’s extremely distended, worse than this morning.) Feels full, not hard like a mass, but definitely full and on the firmer side.

Edited to add info regard poop: some watery poop in run (can’t confirm it’s from her though) Nothing obviously unusual (I was looking for anything bright yellow, green, or foamy.)

I should mention they free roam during the day on 2 acres so I may be missing her droppings.

Seems like given her history of wonky eggs maybe some underlying reproductive issue and now internal laying? Or EYP? Husband will likely euthanize tonight given how quickly she seems to be deteriorating.

I’d like to know if we could have prevented this or treated it earlier. I feel so terrible- we don’t have option of surgery or sterilization l if the issue is genetic and reproductive so euthanasia seems most humane at this point but it’s hard to make such a final decision.

She’s one of our first gals :(
Unless you have done a whole lot of necropsies, I would recomend having your veterinarian do it & send samples into a lab for pathology if you really want to know why it happened. It doesn't seem to be anything contagious, because no one else is showing anything unusual.

Your state vet could do a necropsy if you want to know what she has wrong. I have opened the abdominal cavity of hens that I have lost, to look for yellow ascites fluid (water belly,) or egg masses that can be salpingitis and egg yolk peritonitis. If you do one, it is helpful to take pictures of the abdominal cavity, the liver, intestines, and the oviduct to post here for comments if you wish. A list of the state vets to contact for a necropsy is here:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Here is a good video and organs are labeled, and I only do a short simple necropsy, but you can do a more thorough one:

Back
Top Bottom