clear strings in the colostrum

hollyk

Songster
11 Years
Nov 21, 2008
Canton, Texas
Yesterday we rescued a spanish/boer goat cross. Today she had twins. All are doing well, but the twins were a little weak. We are thrilled considering the conditions she was in. We had to help them nurse and while doing so I noticed these little clear strings in the colostrum. I have never seen colostrum up close so I have nothing to compare it to. I have researched mastitis and she had no other symptoms. I milked several ounces into a jar and the strings settled to the bottom leaving very pretty, thick, smooth colostrum. Can anyone tell me what this is?
idunno.gif
The kids are nursing on their own now and are much stronger.
clap.gif

Well, we made it through the night! The little fellows are nursing great. I woud still like to know about the clear strings in the colostrum. Any thoughts?

Sometimes it can happen as long as the babies keep her nursed out they all should be fine. I would check in a day or so to see if its still doing this. If it is then treat her for mastitis with antibiotics and pennicillian. Dont think any of mine have done this, but she might just be starting it.

Thank you, I was hoping you would be one of the ones who replied. You seem to know your goat stuff! I don't mind bottle feeding if we need to, I really wanted them to get the colostrum from mom.

I've never seen anything like that, either. I would agree...check her again today and see if it's continuing. treat for mastitis preventatively if it is. I'm thinking that if she got tight a while before she kidded, perhaps the beginnings of mastitis are there.

CONGRATS on your babies!!
thumbsup.gif

We checked the milk today and it was clear. I posted on goat spot also and was told that those little clear strands were the material that forms the plugs in the teats to prevent bacteria from getting in.
idunno.gif
At any rate, the babies are nursing and the milk is clear. They are still weaker than an average kid, but I think they might have been a little early. She certainly was not getting the best nutrition. Thanks for your imput!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom