Close call!

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
I hate hawks! Their my hubby's favorite bird, but not mine!

Earlier this morning I was free ranging my girls. I always survey the area looking and listening for hawks. I see and hear them daily with several breeds. I thought I was safe, but about 20 feet from me a red tail hawk swooped at my flock.

My girls were under a thorny bush tree where the hawk tried to get them. They saw the hawk and all stood tall and froze. We just cleared this area for the chickens. It was a wild rabbits home.

I quickly grabbed my bantam since she had no chance. The hawk perched in a tree right behind me. I quickly got the flock back in their run and coop for the day, which is 50-60 ft away. Luckily the hawk was scared of me and the large stick I carry.

The hawk scared them, my girls have not started to lay until 4 pm this afternoon. They should of all laid by now. I have 2 hens in both nest boxes.

I always supervise the free ranging. Today was a close call. Across the street had an attack last year. We have 2 pair of red tail and a pair of cooper hawks with other hawk spices I'm unaware of. Having a backyard of woods does have its drawbacks.

I wish there was a way to scare them off since they are so protected. They are very heavy populated here, makes me wonder why they are protected?

Back
Top Bottom