Cocci confusion

Trollkiller

Songster
11 Years
Oct 26, 2008
Lake Como, Fl. 32157
My chicks have blood spots in their stool but the stool is not watery in fact it seems to be too well formed and hard. (more like very tiny people poo than bird poo)

The blooded stool is not constant, the birds are showing now other signs of illness. They are chirping happily, eating, drinking and playing.

The local feed store is out of cocci meds and my wife called the other feed store where we got the chicks and they said they don't carry meds or medicated feed.

Does this sound like cocci to you and should I medicate?

Does tractor supply carry the meds and what should I get?

Have you called around to see about finding a vet who will do a fecal float to see whether they have cocci. If you have other animals your regular vet is more likely to oblige than some stranger, but call around. It is not expensive and they don't generally need to see the actual animal, you just bring a bagged fresh poo sample. Doesn't have to be a chicken vet -- although each species of animal has its own particular spp of cocci, they all look basically alike and any vet is ABLE (as opposed to necessarily willing) to do it.

Good luck,

Pat

Do you give them treats ?? I noticed when my BR's were young if I gave them certain kinds of treats I would see "red" in the poop. Like patandchickens said your local vet (dog, cat vet) should be able to test it for you I think its something like $15-$20. At least that way you would know if anything was wrong, not worth treating if you dont have to !! Good luck !!

Last edited:
Quote:
Um, medicated feed DOES NOT CURE cocci. It only prevents it. If the problem *is* cocci (tho it doesn't honestly sound so much like it), medicated feed is not going to do much of anything.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom